Steve Guttenberg on listening to music at home...............

I've got a lot of friends who love music, and really who doesn't? But hardly any actually do it as a primary activity.

It seems to be an unfortunate byproduct of our times that so many who enjoy music don't do it as a primary activity. There are just too many distractions available, and too many other activities which compete for our limited time. Even I'm guilty of that with my primary listening taking place when testing/voicing an amp which I've built or restored for someone. Fortunately, that's a regular occurrence! In my younger days however, I always found at least an hour per day to simply sit and listen. And I was far busier then than now.

He raises some interesting points about our pursuits... http://www.stereophile.com/content/are-you-listening-more-enjoying-it-less

Sitting here, typing away with noise cancelling headphones on plugged into an iPod Touch, I find that the compressed/Loudness War/autotuned pop tracks that I'm listening to actually sound different and perhaps much more pleasing than on the main rig at home.

I think that we all know why there is so much Loudness War music out there: young folks don't typically listen to music on loudspeakers nowadays--rather "earbuds". It's a shame, actually. The audiophile pastime/hobby of my youth is dying out in favor of video game music...