Klipsch KG 5.5 Date Of Birth

J.L.

Just to let you know what receiver I have.... it's a Onkyo TX 866 stereo receiver.... 80 watts per side.... I know it's old, but it works fine as far as I can tell and this is the unit I am thinking of hooking in a separate amp to (if possible), as I've mention in the last few previous posts.....

You'll be able to hookup an external amp if there are preouts in the back. I don't think yours does.

You'll be able to hookup an external amp if there are preouts in the back. I don't think yours does.

I've been looking for pics on the Internet of the back of my receiver to post on here, but cannot find any..... I'd like to be sure if I can hook up a separate amp tho.... gonna attempt to post a picture, if I can get it to come out....

That is what you need. Plug in an external amp and you are set.

Ok... thanks Mongo171.... but would something like this work (link below) and be of good sound quality??.... I know that it is designed for a PA system, but do you think it would be good with my system?? I guess what I'm getting at, is do you think I would be disappointed with an amp like in the link compared to an amp made for a stereo system, such as ones we've mentioned above in other posts??

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/crown-xls1500-drivecore-series-power-amp

I know people here use Crown amps in their homes. Hopefully, they will chime in with using this amp.

OK... thanks again.... hope someone does too.... I also seen another part of the forum that dealt with general electronics questions.... maybe I should go there and see what people think.... will wait for a while and see what happens here....

A pro amp whilst providing a cheaper solution is not hifi. They are wonderful for raw power (excellent for subwoofer application) but I think youll be making a compromise if you use for other speakers. My Behringer ep4000 is a proamp and does a fantastic job powering the sub. Its when you use the proamp for higher frequency applications where you notice the difference. Apart from the fan noise which is way too loud for me to have the amp in the same room (fan modifications are possible to remedy this) the sound is raw, lacks the detail. If I listen for longer periods my ears start to hurt as sound is not as carressing on my ears! Only way I can describe it. For some people proamps are fine so your ears will tell you if you like it or not.

A pro amp whilst providing a cheaper solution is not hifi. They are wonderful for raw power (excellent for subwoofer application) but I think youll be making a compromise if you use for other speakers. My Behringer ep4000 is a proamp and does a fantastic job powering the sub. Its when you use the proamp for higher frequency applications where you notice the difference. Apart from the fan noise which is way too loud for me to have the amp in the same room (fan modifications are possible to remedy this) the sound is raw, lacks the detail. If I listen for longer periods my ears start to hurt as sound is not as carressing on my ears! Only way I can describe it. For some people proamps are fine so your ears will tell you if you like it or not.

Thank you Aj72.... this is the input that I'm looking for.... I used to play in a band years ago, and I remember the big QSC and Peavey amp we used for our PA system, loud and clear, but when just sitting there not singing thru it, it made a buzzing sound in the speakers which I'm sure we could have gotten rid of but we were happy just playing..... I think that Peavey was a 500 watter if my memory serves.... nothing compared to what these local bands are using now.... sheesh.... hehehe..... Like you said tho, raw sound....
So I'm guessing if I were to get a "hifi" type amp, it wouldn't be practical to use for my little PA set-up?? Also, if I may ask, what would you recommend for a "hifi" amp for me??.... I would like 250 watts (or more) per channel (I'm just doing stereo, not home theater)..... but probably shouldn't be spending a ton of money.... (I'm thinking $500 to $700 range)

Thanks again....

• 9 years later...
6 hours ago, VickiB said:

I have a pair of kg 5.5 floor speakers. They were purchased at the same time. The serial number on one is 053598785. Can you tell me how old they are?

the speakers were made in 1995 , so 28 years old