SOLD - Apple TV 1st Generation - 160gb hard drive

Kevmosmith

The best thing about the first gen Apple tv is the hard drive. I currently have the 40gb version. The 160gb would hold much more music. Gen 1 is extremely under powered compared to what is streamed today. Streaming on a gen 1 is very slow. Hardware was designed for 480p video. Firmware updates allowed 720p video. Extremely slow. Unit can't keep up with video streaming. Used for music in my HT setup.

Gen 2 is the one commanding high prices. It can handle 720p and can be jail broken. A guy at work did that. He gave up on it because his wife was frustrated at the difficulty using it. It was no longer the simple ease of use that Apple designed. They bought the 3rd gen. It handles 1080p. I don't believe it has been jail broken yet. Gen 2 would be the one for jail breaking.

I will be using the 1st gen strictly for music. I get too many drop-outs when streaming music from my Mac. It will be used in my main stereo setup. No videos. No streaming.

iwander