If I were to build La Scalas...

I am working to get the plans for Klipsch La Scala's.

Say I were to build them... I would need...

Horn Tweeter

Horn midrange

Woofer

Crossover network

Now, these things are rarely if ever found on eBay.

If I did not use Klipsch parts, what would you recommend for each peice, something new would be ideal like JBL woofer's etc.

Then, how would you think that, if built exactly to the plans and using decent peices, these home made La Scala's would compare to me buying use Heresy's?

I want a set of big speakers, idealy K-Horns because of the shape to fit in my corner, but that would be pricey and hard to build. These ProMedia's are not gonna cut it for me for much longer, well, not for my listening room I am building.

I have the University horns about 1/3 the way done, still going to finish those I hope, but I REALLY would like to have La Scala clones. Think I could do this? Think they would sound similar to the Klipsch version even though I would not be able to use Klipsch parts? Frown.gif (due to availability)

now. I am also looking at bulidng an amp. I have gotton into this DIY thing head first. Smile.gif Right now I am building an OPamp headphone amp. I would make a tube amplifier, nothing incredibly exciting, just the basic tube amplifier. This would not be rocket science, am I correct?

I think it would be cool to have some one say, wow, this sounds awesome and ask, who makes these... Then I respong, I do.

What do you think?

Should I stick with University Horns or Tryout some La Scalas and how difficult would it be to build a tube amplifier. I have lots of time and lots of patience. I am a fast learner and love to try new things.

Thanks for the input! I will know in about 2 days if I can get the speaker plans.

BTW, I would be coupling a sonosub to this system in time, sound good? (also home made)

Cheers and happy end of June, wow, what a long month it has been.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Justin!

Here is alink for Lascala plans.

Dieter

http://baseportal.de/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/Data/exdreamaudio/bauplaene_forum&db=bauplaene&cmd=list&range=0,20&cmd=all&Id=8

------------------

Bass: Klipschorn

Mids: Fostex H220 + Fostex D586

MidsHigh: Fostex H425 + Fostex FD600

High: Fostex T925

X : active (Pioneer D-23)

Pre : AVM V1

Amp : AudioValve PPP 30

: Rotel RB 956

: Quad 303

CD : Marantz CD 73

Justin--The K-33 woofer seems to work best in the LS basshorn, it's cheaper than most other woofers suited for horns and available as a part from Klipsch. In my opinion you'll have a better speaker by using other compression drivers and horns than the stock ones, I can think of many such horn-driver combos that would sound better (better to me). Easiest thing to do would be to simply use an Altec top end; 802 or 902 driver on a 511 horn and crossover at 500hz with a simple 1st order network. About 25 years ago my buddy and I built some LS bassbins and used them with 802-511s, they sounded very good and my buddy's brother still uses them. Some people think Altecs are shy on the highs, if you think so adding a tweeter would be in order. There are lots of nice horn tweeters out there now; JBL, Selenium, Beyma and Fane come to mind. The Fane tweet sounds great and is pretty cheap, about $75 each. Good Luck.

thanks for the help! right now i am bidding on this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=888872448

so with this addition, i should be pretty much ok.

i am going to check out those parts, the altecs you talk of are vintage right? how hard to find? if they are new, EXCELLENT Smile.gif

crossover time... Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I MISSED THE AUCTION BY 1 DOLLAR!!!

Oh, the bad news I have gotton today.

1. Lost the auction for the La Scala book

2. Lost the shortcut, www.soundwise.n2v.net/, to my site

3. My website, http://www.lotsui.net/soundwise/, will be taken offline because my server hit bankruptsy so I will have to fork over $94-114 for a new one.

4. I guess that is it but I felt I needed four total Smile.gif

Oh, it always comes in threes, celebirty deaths and bad news (hehehe).

So. Please, I ask you (spoken quite dramatically, Shakespear would be proud), does anyone have the book that is in this eBay auction, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=888872448 ? I will MORE than happily buy it from you. It would mean so much for me to be able to build the La Scala's, the university horns are not meaning as much to me because of the lack of Klipsch in the design. still will make them, still am making them...

So, need help with the following.

1. The book on eBay. Can anyone find it for me? I will pay upto $51.99 now, was $50, but did I learn my lesson or what?, for it.

2. Links to places to get the tweeter, compression driver, horn

3. Links to places to get the midrange, compression driver, horn

4. Links to places to get the woofer

5. Ideas on a new site name. Soundwise.net and .com are taken, i want a .net, so think of a site name that is relavent to what I do on the site, http://www.lotsui.net/soundwise/

6. Some good news Smile.gif

Ok, so you don't think I am a drama person who can not take any dissappointment, as I bet some here do think that of me, I am really not THAT bent out of shape over this stuff. Worse stuff, far far worse stuff, has happened to me, things like this don't really phase me. But still, a dissappointment. Ok, done with the disclaimer, lets get down to business shall we? Smile.gif

p.s., please work on the new name for the site since I have unltil July 16 to register it and chances are some suggestions will be taken allready so the first one may not work. maybe let some other ppl know about all these topics for me? that would be swell.

thanks again for pulling me through this hard time (LoL, another poke at making a joke... ooooh, i am a poet and i did'nt know it...).

Chow

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

oops. I guess I can add a 7.

7. Links to places I can get a balancing network for the La Scala's, just need two.

Al K... You make em... how much? (or should I email him/you?)

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

thanks to thebeast, i have the plans.

so, how much do you think this project will cost me?

$200 for the ALK crossovers... plus the speaker parts.

don't worry about the amp, i have that marantz pm500

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Justin,

I think I saw this posted some time back. For the La Scala's you will need the following:

(2) K-33-E Woofers -- Part # 121501 @ $100/ea

(2) K-55-M Midrange Drivers -- Part # 128005 @ $186/ea

(2) K-77-M Tweeter Drivers -- Part # 129001 @ $198/ea

(2) K-401 Midrange Horns -- Part # 130117 @ $196/ea

(2) AL-3 Crossover Networks -- Part # 116005 @ $152/ea

I'm not sure if you also have to buy the tweeter horn or if that is part of the driver.

As you can see, ordering these new from Klipsch will cost you $1600... and that doesn't include the wood and the labor. You can probably get most of this stuff for half the cost of new from eBay. Figure about $700 total. You can see now why finding a pair for $800 is a much better deal. Certainly something to think about...

Mike

Edit: BTW, AL's networks are $550 for the pair I believe.

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 07-01-2002 at 10:17 AM

WOW.

I was thinking of building the ALK's with his plans, cost is $200

I figured my total to be around 800 bucks when i got parts not from klipsch, new parts.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

• 2 weeks later...

Tony,

The LaScala is a good speaker, but you havn't heard the University. Watch for Mike Lindseys comments on it compared to his LaScalas. He should reply about it soon in his before and after LaScala post under Two Channel.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man