Well, THAT was interesting...Receiver went "out-to-lunch" for a while!

picky

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally found the time this morning to hook-up all of the connections to our home theater receiver that we got back from repair Monday. Other household responsibilities took priority this week. My friend Bill Ferguson helped me place the receiver back into the equipment rack on Monday. It's a two-person job because the receiver weighs about 70 pounds and you must lift it up into a narrow space that is over 5 feet off the floor. Safety-first! It took me about two hours this morning to make all of the re-connections, make a couple of corrections and to re-calibrate the room acoustically. Everything seems to work as before, except there is now a faint, 60 Hz power line hum at system idle that wasn't there before. Now begins the task of troubleshooting each input connection. {sigh}

post-10177-1381986120242_thumb.jpg

This afternoon, the first thing I looked at was trying the power cord for the receiver in a different AC tap on the back of the line conditioner that has a slightly different filtering configuration. This made no difference in the hum. Next, I lifted all analog input devices from the back panel as everything else uses optical. No luck. The hum is at a very low level, but before the repair, there was no hum at all.

However, there's a couple of positive things I have noticed since the repair: The input level for CDs seems to be better than before. I seem to be getting more volume while playing CDs, which was a minor issue in the past. Most CDs are now plenty loud with the volume at -17 db, where before, I had to go to nearly -10 db to get satisfactory volume. Also, the sound seems somewhat fuller and richer than before, which leads be to wonder if maybe this receiver was being held-back by manufacturing flaws from day one before the card failed completely?

At any rate, even with this very low level hum being introduced, which seems to disappear when program material is introduced, if the actual sound quality has improved due to all of the parts finally functioning correctly and the alignment now being up to spec, perhaps, if I can't resolve the hum, maybe I can live with it? We'll see. -Glenn

Overall sounds promising. No electrical/electronic appliance introduced or running in the house electrical system since down for this repair I presume.

Sounds like just enough hum to notice then as not there before. Some bonus sound you are describing may as you say offset the hum.

Congrats