Well, THAT was interesting...Receiver went "out-to-lunch" for a while!

picky

It was certainly was NO FUN, anyway! ...on Friday night we tried to play the movie, "Wild Hogs" for the grand kids downstairs in our Klipsch 7.1 Reference theater. We got the kids all situated on the floor with popcorn and blankets and when I came down to start the movie: NO SOUND! The receiver (Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi Flagship) would respond and send the image to the projector but every audio source was dead including the acoustical calibration test tones! I had no luck after 15 minutes of fiddling, so we called it a wrap. Yesterday afternoon, since it was so hot here in Detroit, I stayed inside and finally got time to troubleshoot the audio problem with the huge owner's manual and fixed it in just under 3 hours without changing a single wire. It seems that when we left for vacation last month, when I shut down the power conditioner to the equipment rack, I'd left the receiver in stand-by instead of off when the power was cut. It erased all of my digital settings! It also blew the fuse in the subwoofer (Klipsch RSW-15) when I turned the power back on when we returned. I replaced the sub's fuse and did a processor reset on the receiver. I had to do a new room calibration among others tasks, including a reassignment of all digital inputs. Back to normal now. Lesson learned! What a relief! I thought our Pioneer Elite flagship receiver was fried! Phew! I've never had a problem like the since I finished building the theater in 2004. I'm sure some of you may have experienced this at one time or another, too. -Glenn

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're going to run the rain-check on the Wild Hogs movie for the grand kids this evening as we have them both again for the weekend. I know the movie isn't Academy Award level, but it's a fun movie to watch with the kids.with lots of silly stuff and bloodless fisticuffs, etc. and I miss riding a Harley. The reciever remote still works flawlessly, but I rarely use it becasue I control our theater with a URC MX-980 RF/IR remote. Thanks for the good words on my troubleshooting. I do admit it was some fun doing so, but the initial discovery of the problem in front of my "audience" is NEVER fun! I'm just thankful it happened on a movie night with the kids and not with a theater-full of grown-ups, or even worse: During a hockey play-off game! LOL -Glenn

billybob: There's lots of Harleys in the movie; even a springer! I haven't had a bike in years, but I'd love to own one again someday soon. I still carry the cycle endorsement on my driver's license. If my employment situation improves, hopefully I'll get the opportunity. -Glenn

It is a fun movie. Besides, where they film it in Madrid (that's MAD-drid), NM, I used to ride my Harley there in the summertime.

Mongo171: That's pretty cool about Madrid.I didn't realize they actually filmed it on location. I checked out Google StreetView and sure enough, I think I found the actual diner where the "big biker rumble" scene took place! -Glenn

post-10177-1381985719052_thumb.jpg

It is a fun movie. Besides, where they film it in Madrid (that's MAD-drid), NM, I used to ride my Harley there in the summertime.

Mongo171: That's pretty cool about Madrid.I didn't realize they actually filmed it on location. I checked out Google StreetView and sure enough, I think I found the actual diner where the "big biker rumble" scene took place! -Glenn

Yep, Glenn, that's the diner in the movie. Never eaten there. I always go to the bar, called the Mine Shaft. http://www.themineshafttavern.com/

In the movie, the diner is called "Maggies".

Well, things with my receiver have gotten more serious: Every time I shut it down, within 24 hours it completely freaks and no sound will come out unless I do a processor reset and recalibrate the system each time. In short: the pre-amp section fails to "talk" to the power-amp section, which is of course, unacceptable. I found a place called ABL Electronics in Madison Heights I think I'll take it to for repair. They are an authorized Pioneer Elite repair center. I'll have to get my buddy over here to help me lift this thing out of my theater rack as the receiver weighs about 70 pounds and it's about 5-1/2 feet off the ground in the top of the rack! Yikes! -Glenn

That sux. Hopefully, it won't take loing to back it back in tip-top shape.

Thanks, Mongo 171!

Here's a couple of photos:

First one shows the back of the Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi receiver while it's still sitting in the equipment rack and still hooked up. I used some stick-on, writable cable labels that I found at Rat Shack and labeled every single bundle of wire before I disconnected anything.

post-10177-138198576104_thumb.jpg

This next shot shows the receiver sitting in the back of our crossover on Wednesday, with the remote and power cord (in the bag) on their way to the repair lab. "Sniff-sniff!" Don't worry, I strapped it down well before driving it over there. I still have the original box, but that would have made this 70-pound receiver much too difficult to manuver as easily. -Glenn

post-10177-13819857618884_thumb.jpg

Wow, what a behemoth!

Yup, I've got the same one and it weighs half as much as I do.

You should see what a replacement remote costs for that bad boy!

Only two things I didn't like about it was that a.) Both A and B speakers use the same EQ curve and b.) you can't use A and B speakers while in 5.1 stereo, 7.1 stereo mode or bi-amp.