Home theater RB-81 II. Example of placements

Aramor

Hi. I am from russia. My english is no good. But i hope you'll understand my speech and help me.

I will post a home theater RB-81 II in my room. The room will not sound all. Left hanging blackout curtains. Empty space on the right. Room hookup with a neighboring arch (no doors). Ceiling height 2.5 mtera. A few questions:

1. It is advisable to use the RB-81? may be RB-61?

2. Is it good to work RS-52 from behind?

3. What position is better positioned RS-52? RR or 2?

4. At what height of the listener's ears positioned RS-52?

receiver onkyo-818.

post-59277-1381985713232_thumb.png

Aramor!

????????????! ????? ?????????? ?? ?????!

I think you'll love the RB 81, the RS 52 is a great surround speaker, I would prefer position 2 for your right surround (just my opinion), and a few inches/cm above your ears is usually the recommended position. That will be a nice sounding system in your room! Will you be using a subwoofer also?

Enjoy!

Dave

????????? ??????? ????????? ????????????? ????? ? ?? ??????? ???? ????????????!
:)
1. RB81 vs RB61 wise, you will not hear any difference. Their frequency ranges are extremely close. You gonna gross them at 80 or 60 Hz anyway, depend on the price I would go with either of them.
2. Yes, in your situation it is good place for them.
3. I second akdave and think that position #2 for RS-52 is better. you also can put it to #1 position but in that case I would move couch a bit forward.

4. Akdave is right; I believe they should be like ½ to a meter max above the listeners ears. My SS-1 positioned on the wall just above 2 meters from the floor, just because I’m 196 and don’t want to hit them if I’m doing something around.
Qustion: can you move the couch a bit forward? Or flip whole set up and put TV and towers where couch is and couch and SRS speakers where TV stays now, in that case bottom right corner on the picture would be good place for subwoofer, or even put whole set up other way, length wise? It should give you better placement for rear/SRS speakers and better sound and you wont be sitting so close to your giant TV.

:)

Greetings! Thank you for the warm welcome. I am very glad to new acquaintances.

akdave, thank you for your opinion. Yes, I will use a subwoofer. Klipsch recommends this setup:

(2) RB-81 II Bookshelf Speakers

(1) RC-62 II Center Channel Speaker

(2) RS-52 II Surround Speakers

(1) SW-115 Subwoofer

I think I'll stick with it, except for the subwoofer. Plans SW-112.

reference_head, thank you. Up about 1-2ft over ear level, the distance from the ear to the body or from the ear to the tweeter?

dimanata2007, thank you for such a complete answer.

1. RB-81 and RB-61 have a different sensitivity. The price is not much different, so I am inclined to the configuration that the manufacturer recommends.

2,3. If put it to # 1 position, will have to hang them near the ceiling (ceiling height of 2.5 meters (8 feet)). Move couch a bit forward is not possible.

4. When I sit, the ear is located at an altitude of 3 feet from the floor. What is the distance from the ear should be tweeter? There are manufacturer's recommendations on this? Now, TV and fronts are in place sofa. But I decided to reflect the interior, so that the distance between the front speakers was more correct. Change the design and the TV set is not possible.

Why place the surround on the spot number 2 most preferred?

I have experience from a horn tweeter design. It is not too directional? Will not sound distorted away from the central point?

post-59277-13819857172456_thumb.jpg

My personal opinion on all this would be get the 61's up front and a rc-62 center. And I think that with them surrounds so close you should save your money and get rs-42's. I've owned every single surround in the reference series and I think the rs-42's are fantastic speakers. They kept up just fine with my rf-63 and rc-64 no problem when I sat as close as you are going to. Now when I moved into a way bigger room the rs-62's fit the bill a bit better. But unless you are playing at insane levels I'd save you a few bucks to maybe spend on the sub. Same with the fronts. Spend the extra for the sub

ok, nice drawing, I see now.

95 vs 97 db sensitivity won’t be really noticeable after calibration.
channel levels will be adjusted and compensated for difference in sensitivity
and both of these speakers need to be crossed at 50-60hz or higher, so even if
you have extremely sensitive ears I very doubt you will hear any difference, but
if for the same money I sure would take RB-81.

8 ‘ might be bit high, especially since you are sitting
right next to the wall, so position #1 is the way to go by my opinion.

http://www.highdefforum.com/speakers-surround-sound/83182-surround-sound-system-speaker-placement-guide.html

“Front speaker height is crucial and it is always best to
keep them at the listeners ear level when seated. If that can't be done then
make sure that all three front speakers are at the same height. The surround
and rear surround speakers should be
mounted at 1' to 2' above the listeners ear level to prevent localization,
distraction from the front speakers and to allow room filling surround.”

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

Surround Left & Right
Speakers (SL & SR):
Place the SL & SR speakers between
90° to 110° to each side and 2 feet or higher above the listener. The SL &
SR speakers recreate the enveloping sound and intense special effects that you
experience in the cinema.

scrappydue actually right. room is pretty small for any large speakers and sub is very important part of the HT. recently I bought 12" sub and feel huge difference now vs my old 8" sony.

My personal opinion on all this would be get the 61's up front and a rc-62 center. And I think that with them surrounds so close you should save your money and get rs-42's. I've owned every single surround in the reference series and I think the rs-42's are fantastic speakers. They kept up just fine with my rf-63 and rc-64 no problem when I sat as close as you are going to. Now when I moved into a way bigger room the rs-62's fit the bill a bit better. But unless you are playing at insane levels I'd save you a few bucks to maybe spend on the sub. Same with the fronts. Spend the extra for the sub

Hi, Scrappydue.

Thank you. Your opinion is important to me. I will listen carefully, but if we agree that the cost of 81 and 62, as well as 52 and 42 is the same, would not it be 81 and 52 are too excessive? Do not become worse sound quality of this?

As for the subwoofer, then I'll take the highest possible. The fact that I am limited to 28 kilogram weight subwoofer, as I will not buy into Russia, and custom allows transferring of only 28 kg per month. You think SW-112 will not be enough for my room?

I have a question for you. Does not affect the fact that horn speakers that sound will be perfect only in the area where the speakers are directed, and the left and right sound will already be worse?

at what point would you put RS-52/42? 1, 2 or 3?

post-59277-1381985718741_thumb.png

8 might be bit high, especially since you are sitting

right next to the wall, so position #1 is the way to go by my opinion.

But if you want to have at a height of 2 feet from the ear, then this option is not fit.

scrappydue actually right. room is pretty small for any large speakers and sub is very important part of the HT. recently I bought 12" sub and feel huge difference now vs my old 8" sony.

SW-112 Subwoofer is just a 12'' speaker. Do you think this is not enough for my room?

post-59277-1381985718828_thumb.png

Hi, Scrappydue.

Thank you. Your opinion is important to me. I will listen carefully, but if we agree that the cost of 81 and 62, as well as 52 and 42 is the same, would not it be 81 and 52 are too excessive? Do not become worse sound quality of this?

As for the subwoofer, then I'll take the highest possible. The fact that I am limited to 28 kilogram weight subwoofer, as I will not buy into Russia, and custom allows transferring of only 28 kg per month. You think SW-112 will not be enough for my room?

I have a question for you. Does not affect the fact that horn speakers that sound will be perfect only in the area where the speakers are directed, and the left and right sound will already be worse?

at what point would you put RS-52/42? 1, 2 or 3?

well if the rb-61/81 are the same price I would go for the higher model. Same with the surrounds. But something seems weird about that. You either are getting hooked up or ripped off. Also what are your other options on subwoofers? There are MUCH better options out there than Klipsch. Not sure what Russia has to offer. Look into a couple Internet direct companies for us. Something like svs, hsu, rythmik. All fantastic subwoofer companies.

I was thinking about #2 position for RS speaker (first drawing). since you will be sitting right below SRS speakers 8" would be too high and you will be sitting in the sound hole.

also see if you can mount right RS on the right wall (last drawing) 3-4' away from the corner (that would definitely give you better SRS sound dispersion) and let calibration to adjust speaker levels. Scrappydue, what do you think about it?

12" sub would be plenty for your room. but if I would be you I would spend less on the speakers and maybe even on the sub and save for something else, your room isn't really big enough for top of the line big and powerful speakers. I got 12" BIC sub and it's more than capable to shake my 13x16 carpeted room and even whole house if I crank channel level and sub gain up.

I would get the biggest best speakers you can. It will save you money down the road if you move into a bigger place or wonder what if.

I have owned most of the rs line (42,52, and 62) and liked all of them but the 42s are really small and have cheaper smaller drivers with smaller horns.

To me the rs-52 are the best value of the 3.

well if the rb-61/81 are the same price I would go for the higher model. Same with the surrounds. But something seems weird about that. You either are getting hooked up or ripped off. Also what are your other options on subwoofers? There are MUCH better options out there than Klipsch. Not sure what Russia has to offer. Look into a couple Internet direct companies for us. Something like svs, hsu, rythmik. All fantastic subwoofer companies.

Of course, I think to purchase a third-party subwoofer. Topic is not about the subwoofer and it is the second question. This will be the last purchase and the choice of the subwoofer can not influence the upcoming renovation.

also see if you can mount right RS on the right wall (last drawing) 3-4' away from the corner (that would definitely give you better SRS sound dispersion) and let calibration to adjust speaker levels. Scrappydue, what do you think about it?

I have attached a picture. Is that what you mean? If yes, then I can easily install the speaker there. But will it be good? There are opinions about someone?

I was thinking about #2 position for RS speaker (first drawing). since you will be sitting right below SRS speakers 8" would be too high and you will be sitting in the sound hole.

12" sub would be plenty for your room. but if I would be you I would spend less on speakers and maybe even on sub and save for something else, your room isn't really big enough for top of the line big and powerful speakers. I got 12" BIC sub and it more than capable to shake my 13x16 carpeted room and even whole house if I cranck channel level and sub gain up.

I get it. Thank you. I will listen again. But let's not going to be discussed subwoofer.

post-59277-13819857192326_thumb.png

yep, that's exactly what I was talking about. just position the speaker a bit away from the corner.

calibration should adjust distance and channel level.

All right, dimanata2007. This is an interesting version. Strongly away from the corner does not work, there is an entrance arch.

reference_head, what do you think about this?

In this case, hang suraund left on the bracket to the ceiling and turn?

post-59277-13819857193834_thumb.png

All of those will work. #4 will work but it would need to be leveled matched and might run a little hot that far away. You can do #2 and 3 and that will sound really good. At first i liked #1 but after seeing that other pic it will need to be really high so i think 2 or 3 would be better.

All right. Thank you all for valuable advice on the location of the rear speakers. You helped me a lot. Route the cables in place 2 and 3. Finally determined empirically. Hide unnecessary cable into the wall, it will give the opportunity in the future to expand to 6.1.