Fuses/Bulbs

dougdrake

Anyone know a good place on the 'net or via mail order (remember that?) where I can find off-beat fuses for receivers, such as the ones that are used to backlight the tuner dial (at least they look like fuses - maybe they're just long, skinny bulbs)? The local Radio Shack comes up empty...

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 06-30-2002 at 03:38 AM

Sometimes the manufaturers used what is called "pig-tail lamps" or "wheat lamps" for those face-plate lights...but they are NOT fuses...it helps if you have the numbers from the bulb when searching for them...numerous other types of bulbs have been used, too.

------------------

I can now receive private messages

Colin - You ARE the man. Here they are:

http://audio70.safeshopper.com/13/28.htm?867

Of course, these'll cost me about 1/2 what the whole piece is worth on Ebay cwm6.gif. Gonna try another source to see if I can pick 'em up cheaper...

I'll be completely chagrined if you found these by just a simple search in Google...please lie and say you had their site bookmarked.

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 07-01-2002 at 02:23 PM

Sorry Doug, I cannot tell a lie. I Googled "Marantz fuse lamps" and up they came. I knew they were called "fuse lamps" because I blew a pair in one of my amps last year.

Hey, glad it worked out! cwm12.gif

Regards,

Colin

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by chickey on 07-01-2002 at 02:26 PM

Well, as a follow up, I found them (maybe) for $.50 each at www.partsexpress.com: (thanks for the idea, TTK. what doesn't that place sell?)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ ID=6896572&St=2232&St2=66434486&St3=79761915&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=1340&DID=7

Looking at the pic, though, they look a bit different than the ones out of my receiver. These appear to have an actual bulb contained inside a fuse-type cylinder. Mine just have a bare wire inside, like a fuse would. Anyone know if these would work OK? Also, the only marking on mine is F8V -- safe to assume it is 8 volts? Or should I measure the "socket" voltage with a meter by putting positive on one end of the socket and negative to ground? BTW, is that AC or DC?

Colin - I guess the secret is knowing the jargon better than just "the little light bulb that looks like a fuse thingy," which turned up 0 results in Google.

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 07-01-2002 at 04:50 PM

Doug, I had notes here somewhere regarding the lamps along with additional info. Looked everywhere and can't find my notes. Seems like I remember using those PE types in vintage Sansui or Sony. Sorry, can't remember for sure. Tried calling Customer Service? at Parts Express? Good luck!

Keith