How the Death Panels Really Work

Jeff Matthews

Jeff, Having worked in the medical field a number of years, and seeing Hospice in action I have a couple of recomendations........................................................

1st don't let them appoint a stranger as her Guardian! They don't care, they just get paid for being a "Yes Man/Women" Get Guardianship yourself. Then take all the time you want in finding a place to discharge her to. If they want to discharge her, refuse their order to discharge. Refuse any facility they may want to place her in. After all you will now be her Guardian and legally able to represent her best interests. I have seen this tactic before. It may frustrate the hospital but there is not much they can do. Make it very clear by calmly stating that you will advocate for her care, including legal and public reaction (Newspaper and TV).............................................................................

2nd Get her on Hospice as soon as possible. Most of these people working hospice are very caring and also will advocate for your mother. It is amazing what I have seen them get done that hospital staff cannot. Were I live Hospice is for those that are not expected to live over 6 months. However God (my beliefs) will determine how long she lives.and if she lives longer it does not disqualify her for more hospice care. And hopefully it will help her to accept that death is part of life....................................................................

This part is quite personal, but I will add it in hope that it helps you and your family. My grandmother got on hospice, made her peace with the fact she was going to die. My Grandmother did not want any services at all. Just bury her and get it over with. After Hospice for less then 2 weeks she changed her mind and allowed a graveside service with family and friends. She did not want anyone to morn her passing, but to celebrate her life. No Preaching! She wanted a little old time country music in the background. A CD was made and music was played in the background. Statement was made that this should be a Celebration of her life as she wanted, although it was difficult not to cry at times. Different people told positive memories of things we had done with her,and things she had said. This appeared to help us all in accepting her passing. After service it was time for food and family get together, JUST LIKE SHE WOULD HAVE WANTED...........................................................................................................

MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO YOUR MOTHER AND YOUR FAMILY. May your mother find Peace.. . . . . . . . . . . . .Sorry about all the dots but for some reason my posts all run together without breaks for different paragraphs

...........Taz

John, thanks for sharing your experience. I have seen hospice in action, just never directly with a loved one. I absolutely was awed by a hospice nurse that brought in a plate of warm home made chocolate chip cookies, along with the morphine dose, to a friend. It was 180 degrees from what I had seen the week prior in an ICU setting. You validated all that I have observed indirectly.

Hospitals are begging for the federal money being turned away.

The evolution of "Obamacare" will be very interesting as some states reduce their uninsured by expanding their Medicaid programs and bringing new 3rd party money to doctors and hospitals on behalf of the newly insured. The new reduction in "dish" (disproportionate share or DSH) payments to hospitals should encourage Medicaid expansion, I would think.

Some ultraconservative states, out of anti-ACA spite, are rejecting federal support for developing exchanges and expanding Medicaid to reduce the number of uninsured. These states may be put on the spot by seeing those funds go to other states. Idaho is an interesting case of a very Republican and very conservative state taking a very constructive approach by forming planning and implementing groups (heavy on insurance co. participation), that after careful consideration are plunging right ahead on implementing Obamacare. Good place for Texas's money to go!