best ripper

asudhir

You mean CD-->MP3 or CD-->WAV? If that's the case, I recommend CDex and EAC. Both are free and will rip your CD's very cleanly into great-sounding files. These free apps are a lot better than the commercial ones available...they do what they are designed to do very well and are not bloated.

I like Audiograbber with the Fraunhofer Radium MP3 codec. The only thing is that it takes a really, really long time if you want to encode with high quality at like 256k/s or 320k/s. Audiograbber is just like Audiocatalyst, except it doesn't come with it's own encoder which I like cause AudioCatalyst's built in encoder sucks on the version I have.

You can get it all for free if you know where to look.

I hope the Fraunhofer Radium encoder is an improved version of the Fraunhofer encoder, because if it's not, then it is only middle-range as far as sound quality goes.

A few months ago I ripped all my CD's using MusicMatch Jukebox, which utilizes the Fraunhofer encoder. That satisfied me for a while until I started hearing everyone talk about LAME. So, for kicks, I ripped a CD using the LAME encoder (once using 256k bitrate and once with variable bitrate) and both sounded much better than the ones I had encoded using the Fraunhofer encoder in MusicMatch. So, even though it took a lot of time, I deleted a lot of my MP3's and re-encoded them using programs that can use the LAME encoder (like EAC and CDex) and I can truly say that my MP3's sound much better. It is especially noticable with good speakers like the Klipsches.

So, if Fraunhofer Radium is something better/different than the Fraunhofer encoder, then maybe I should check it out.

If not, and Fraunhofer Radium is just another name for vanilla Fraunhofer, then you guys are missing out on a lot.

From the start mp3's have lost quality when you encode as mp3s. That loss never comes back.

EAX is the best loss-less extractor/ripper, that can save your music as .ape files at half the size of waves.

WinAmp plays and converts to mp3s (to load your Rio) or play back like wave files.

Nero Burning ROM's latest has .ape capabilities now.

Is your music worth a new 20gig? You may not always have access to the cds.

OH yeah,

When you get winamp you can sign up for 3 gig of storage on winamp locker. Free, OK?

It's like having your own 300k internet radio you can listen to anywhere you got fast broadband. May I suggest Junior Brown's Hong Kong Blues?(It's one of the other users' play list.