HT setup problems

galenc1

New to this forum and to Klipsch but not to A/V. Been a fan for years. My dilemma. New house with built in entertainment center in 20x20 open family room. Center channel cabinet above TV (okay so far), Klipsch in ceiling L/R front and surrounds. Enclosures for bookshelfs under TV at floor level. I'm not a fan of in-ceilings. Always had floor standers, but wifey says no way in the new house, so need to know if I stand a chance with bookshelves at floor level. Thinking of RB-61's with RC-62 and using the front in-ceilings for front "high/wides". Want sound stage to go across the front but with different levels of center and bookshelfs, not sure I'll be satisfied. Any suggestions? Besides a new wife? [*-)]

Thanks

I would get the RB-81 II's if you can and the RC-62 II. You would be maximizing your small space requirement. I think you will be ok with the different heights. I had my RC-7 above my TV which was about 2 feet higher than the height of my RF-7's and it worked out fine. The ideal is straight across but then again, the world isn't ideal so we have to get as close to it as possible. A posted picture of your wall would help!

Welcome to the forum!

A 20 x 20 open floor plan room is pretty big for bookshelves. They'll certainly be better than tv speakers but won't give you the big theater sound. If you go with bookshelves on the floor, why not look at Heresy III's? You can use the supplied slanted risers and get a much bigger sound than with bookshelves. Hide a sub somewhere and you're good to go.

Thanks and understand what you're saying, but I've only got 17in height inside the cabinet where the bookshelves are housed. I do have a sub, forgot to mention that. Was using KEF Q5's for my floorstanders before moving. Currently have Energy XL-C center. Want to match the front. Have seen some good deals on older Klipsch models like the RC-7 and RC-3ii but not sure of timbre match to RB-61's. Just purchased a Pioneer SC-1222k receiver (great deal at Costco) so plenty of power. Class D amps. Currently using a Sony soundbar until I get all my speakers selected. Actually impressed with the soundbar and clarity. Blows the Samsung and LG away.

Welcome to the forum!

A 20 x 20 open floor plan room is pretty big for bookshelves. They'll certainly be better than tv speakers but won't give you the big theater sound. If you go with bookshelves on the floor, why not look at Heresy III's? You can use the supplied slanted risers and get a much bigger sound than with bookshelves. Hide a sub somewhere and you're good to go.

i think he meant he has bookshelf openings built into the entertainment center at floor level. not wanting speakers actually out on the floor. so i am guessing the heresy on slant risers wouldn't work. if you dot mind us asking what you had before? you mentioned new to klipsch. and i have owned many floorstanding towers of other brands that my rb-61's trumped in output and clarity.

and i like how you mention being new here but you mentioned us recommending a new spouse....(like we would ever do that [:)])

Welcome to the forum!

i think he meant he has bookshelf openings built into the entertainment center at floor level. not wanting speakers actually out on the floor. so i am guessing the heresy on slant risers wouldn't work. if you dot mind us asking what you had before? you mentioned new to klipsch. and i have owned many floorstanding towers of other brands that my rb-61's trumped in output and clarity.

and i like how you mention being new here but you mentioned us recommending a new spouse....(like we would ever do that Smile)

i dunno about that, my woman said the subs were a little too big and she snarled when i told her the 7's were on their way. I just got engaged over the weekend so i may have to do a trade in...of the woman, not the speakers

They say "Happy wife, happy life". But I say "run away, run away". Over my 30 years of marriage, I've made concessions to keep peace, but now at 65 years old, I don't think it's too much to ask to have what I want in my home theater, right? (Geesh, I hope my wife isn't reading this. [:|] )

bahh. I forgot to list the svs pc12-ultras. The RF-7 set i had with me in az before i moved to NJ and when i moved back to AZ they stayed in NJ until i bought a house which i did and they are on a truck with a bunch of my other stuff somewhere in the state. It'll be here soon. :)

Galenc, I see you are in LasVegas. A lot of us here have purchased from Acoustic Sound Design and they are also in Vegas. Mike would cut you a nice deal but you have to physically call him. You'd be able to do local pick up and I'm sure he'd take that into consideration for an even better quote. Best of luck and welcome to the forum!

Email

info@acousticsounddesign.com

Toll-free Number

Our Address

AcousticSoundDesign.com

1700 Fairgate Ct.

Las Vegas, NV 89117

i love the RC-3 II, i think its a very smooth center. the SC-2 has done a great job in the stead of the SC-2 but the RC-3 II is definitely worth the $100-$125 but nothing more than that. I have the SC-2 because i have the SF-2's and they all matched perfect. I have been using the SC-2 with the RF-5's and for the most part, they timbre pretty well i think but in the end, the RC-3 II wins the battle. Scoop it up, it will probably match well-really well with the RB-61 II's and heck, if you don't like it, sell it and you'll make your money back.

i will take a photo of everything really soon. I have to reset all of my godaddy crap since they changed IP's and i got kicked out of my stuff. Ugg. The setup looks thrown together right now because it was haha. Just making do, temporary style.

Galenc, I see you are in LasVegas. A lot of us here have purchased from Acoustic Sound Design and they are also in Vegas. Mike would cut you a nice deal but you have to physically call him. You'd be able to do local pick up and I'm sure he'd take that into consideration for an even better quote. Best of luck and welcome to the forum!

Email

info@acousticsounddesign.com

Toll-free Number

Our Address

AcousticSoundDesign.com

1700 Fairgate Ct.

Las Vegas, NV 89117 mike is awesome and will smoke check prices at frys and

Cut you an even better deal than we all get since you live close. Awesome. Your lucky.

I called Mike and he has no "audition" room but does have open box items at a discount. Picked up an RC-3 ii locally for $125, just like new and will most likely pair it with two RB-61 ii's. Setting up the new Pioneer amp this week with old Radio Shack books just to see the separation for L/R fronts. Once I get that set up, and if it works like I hope it does, will get the 61's. Appreciate the inputs from all. Looking forward to my first Klipsch experience!