Seth 2A3, what is the best tube?

BBZink

Dee:

I agree it was neat. He has gone through interests like that from the earliest years I can remember. Constantly working on radio electronics, which, when I was little, bored me almost literaly to tears -- the hours we spent at local Radio Shack stores were unbearable at the time. He taught me to solder when I used to watch him work -- used to make little pretend animal creatures out of pieces I cut from tin cans. The soldering iron I used was one of those gigantic things -- a vintage iron that he kept since he got it at about twelve years old. For a five year old it was like holding a baseball bat! Still has it, too. How I would love it if Radio Shack was once again like it was in the old days -- when they sold tube amp kits, horn speakers, transformers, tons of different tubes, and walls loaded with all the parts that these days have to be special-ordered. As much as I disliked it back then, funny how one changes over the years......Change of topic here, but you know how over the years we've talked about capacitors going bad over time? My dad emailed the other day to tell me he had been working on a WWII aircraft radio, and found all of its "bathtub" condensers (as caps used to be called) were still in perfect condition -- tested under load. Very similar to the kind Klipsch used in the Heritage networks -- which are still my preference for crossover use. I think you will love the Bottlehead amps with your La Scalas! I really need to get that Baldwin rebuilt; I actually have two to do. BTW: would you like to be able to switch between taps 3 and 4 on the fly while maintaining the same crossover frequency, sans swamping resistor? ;) (apologies - I can't seem to get paragraph breaks to work)

Capacitors in general will perform better in constant use with a DC voltage applied then in a crossover environment from a sonic standpoint. They will also break in from being idle for years much better in the piece of electronics with DC voltage as compared to a crossover with no DC voltage present. Regardless of what test equipment returns for DATA no 50 to 60 year old cap in a Hi Fi audio circuit is NOT adversely effecting the gears sonic performance from its new condition. You can prefer whatever you like but the facts are very clear on the above. All you have to do is crack open a 50+ year old coupling cap to witness the truth.

Erik,

I hear you on wishing RS was stocked like they used to be.

That would be a pretty cool thing to be able to switch from the 3 to 4 taps. Are you thinking about a toggle switch connection?

Parts express is the new radio shack. The last time I was in rat shack it was a terrible experience.

Craig: All that's pretty clear. This was just a little anecdote about a piece of equipment that hadn't been used in a very long time, and was brought back to life by someone who was alive at the time the vintage piece was built and who was also making his own tube radios as a boy. The circuit was completely hum-free, which is not always the case with stuff that old. The amount of emphasis sometimes placed on capacitors is interesting to me. Circuit design, anyone? The new Radio Shack is filled wall to wall with colorful plastic. From a practical standpoint, I suppose such an approach these days yields a better bottom line than would shelves stocked with things like big black transformers, 6L6s, 12AX7s, and silver-finned variable capacitors......................."I just want a cable to charge my cell phone! What are all these weird light bulbs? This one says "2A3" but has four prongs on it. I use the kind that screws in. Thanks anyway, have a good day. I prefer some other sources to Parts Express which has absolutely become a very valuable source. Depends on what ones's needs are, I suppose.

Just purchased a 2A3 seth with old Electro harmonix tube, i want to update them! what are the best 2A3 affordable i should go? i am hesitating between shuanguang 2A3C and sovtek? thanks for any help provided Best regards

I have no comment on the tubes...but I have to say you are one lucky man for finding and scoring one of those amps. Jeff is one class act and I have great respect for him. What Magnequest iron combo is in your Seth's? Mike is another class act that I have great respect for. If you don't mind me being curious what did you have to pay for the amps.

In fact a friend build it and it took good care of it and it was well built, but not in use for at least 1 years, here the info on it: http://www.magnequest.com/diy_lessard_circuit_2a3pp.htm

And it sound very good with the sovtek, thanks to you guys!

Erik,

You would enjoy visiting one of the radio shacks in a small town near where I grew up and live near today called Oscoda. Yup this small rural town actually has two radio shacks! They have one radio shack that is just as you describe as the modern radio shack and one that is still reasonably close to the old days! The owner of the later is a personal friend of my now deceased father and still a very good friend of mine. The owner is a big Ham guy like my Father was he even runs a local repeater and ham radio club. I host a meeting here at my shop once a year! Great bunch of old timers they are! The amount of knowledge and experience that is in my shop that evening is stunning. Sorry to say we agree on very little about repairing old gear though but the bantering back in forth is priceless.

• 1 month later...