Re: Neil Young And PureTone

J.L.

What I noticed most was the subtleties in his playing and singing. On the DVD, I hear detail that just isn't there on the CD.

As for amplified music, one of my favourite DVDs is Rock Steady Live by No Doubt. It really sounds like a live show.

I you were able to do a DR rating of this CD and DVD, I would bet $5 (US) that the DVD scores much higher on the DR Rating scale. Here is the CD rating from the DR Database, which really isn't a spectacular score: http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=10135. My guess is that this is the difference that you might be hearing - not so much the format difference.

Chris

The CD of Massey hall is not a compressed version. It should have the same DR score. The DVD sounds better (more you are there) but not a huge difference. The LP on the other hand really sounds real. A huge difference. This recording is one you can't judge by the DR scale. All the dynamics are intact, and it sounds great.

Unless this is some sort of religious belief subject, i.e., high resolution digital files vs. Red Book CD files, the results of every test that I've seen says that even among "golden ear experts", the ability of every group of listeners to pick out the high resolution files from Red Book CD files being played back using good acoustics rooms and reproduction equipment, has been pretty much 50% random probability--which means that the groups cannot hear the difference. This has been my experience, too.

There are good reasons why you don't hear any difference:

http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Edited by Don Richard