Couple progress notes on DIY LaScala project

Tom, thanks for the input ... Yeah, the "W" project was Piech's pet project (he's the CEO of VW); basically it's an 8, with each bank of 4 staggered into two banks of 2 at about 15 degrees apart. Basically, it's a very small V-8 that's about the size of a V-6. Very cool. VW's putting it into the Passat to start (275 hp), but have versions slated for the larger cars (Audi line, primarily) with hp ratings up in the 400's.

But, like you, I finally gave up on the German cars due to the cost of maintainence and went with the new Chrysler 300M Special, a tweaked version of the 300M. Pulls 0.91 g's on the skidpad but doesn't look like a Boy Racer, if you know what I mean. Maintenance and fuel costs are VERY low. Drove a Concorde for 4 years and LOVED it.

Yukon is up for sale in September if anybody within driving distance wants a clean, high mileage truck. Dealer is offering $4200 on trade-in; wholesale Blue Book is high $5's ... Would consider anything over $4200 as a bonus. Nice truck; hauls Klipschorns very nicely Smile.gif

RE: John Warren: "...the4 k-400 can be mounted flange out..."

Yes, I suppose it can be, but that not only entails inletting the flange into the face of the motorboard for the top-end, but you also have to do some chisel work to inlet even deeper for the mounting hole reinforcement points(where the mounting hole area is thicker to the rear of the flange)...and then you still have to mount the tweeter horn face out so that they are firing from the same plane...and both the tweeter horn and k-400 horn will have to have their mounting holes contersunk in the front for screwheads(which weakens the mounting hole points in the k-400, which have already been reinforced for a reason, hint, hint), unless you decide to use cap screws....and even then the timing has to be changed to get the same effect because the tweeter and midrange have both been moved forward almost 3/4" ahead of the bass bin mouth (which means doing crossover network modifications)...alot more work than just mounting them like they were intended, to start with, if you ask me! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 07-19-2002 at 08:05 PM

HDBRbuilder -

I would buy the plans Smile.gif

Tom Mobley -

My name is Justin, not Jason, but no worries, i get Jason all the time, even thought of changing it to Jason, but then everyone would call me Justin instead Smile.gif

I am still waiting for the plans to come in, when/if they do, i will work on sending you whatever you need that it has, but at the rate I am getting them... it may be a while....

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

Thx, Justin, and sorry about the name confusion. Whatever happens on the plans works for me.

Valvoline, I worked at having a nice appearance on those crossovers. But, I used Al K's economy option with the paralleled 2.0 and .2 Solen caps instead of the $25 apiece Hovland 2.2's. That was a mistake, more work, amateurish looking deal soldering the two together, less room, PITA. If I had to do again I'd use the Hovlands. If you look at his pics you'll see the diff, the Hovlands are the big yellow caps that aren't on mine.

HDBR, I thought about doing that when I realized the panels wouldn't work the way the guy built them. I saw what you said, that the reliefs would have to be notched for the mounting pads on the 400's or make the whole thing deeper, then the plywood would be getting a little thin. I wanted it to look right from the front, too, even though I'm using grilles for the WAF. Hoping to get back on this deal, I worked four 12's and now have four days off. I want to hear these things.

Tom