Looking for an audio switch....

philly0116

Running inputs in parallel may work in some installations, but not all. I recall a number of receivers which had very low input impedances of around 15k. Running those in parallel will present a sufficiently low load to the source component to have some effect on the sound. The switchbox idea works well as long as the signal paths are kept fairly short. Sonic degradation is not an issue. Switches are used in most integrated amps to select input and other functions without causing problems.

I recall a number of receivers which had very low input impedances of around 15k. Running those in parallel will present a sufficiently low load to the source component to have some effect on the sound.

The Marantz line input is 20k which is probably the culprit. Using the circuit I posted may help this, since it will help isolate the two different inputs from each other. However, simply using a second CDP will definitely do the trick.

Bruce

The Marantz line input is 20k which is probably the culprit. Using the circuit I posted may help this, since it will help isolate the two different inputs from each other. However, simply using a second CDP will definitely do the trick.

Bruce

I agree Bruce, and keeping a minimum resistance in the line certainly can help to alleviate any low impedance ill-effects. Personally, I prefer the switchbox idea because it only adds a few solder joints and some switch contacts. Using 2 switches instead of a single dpdt switch gives a touch more isolation between the channels; unlikely anyone could measure or hear a difference. But, as Robin said, using 2 sources solves all the problems quite easily! I've attached a schematic in case anyone wants to build a box. And, of course, it can be used in reverse to select 2 sources feeding a single amp, receiver, etc.

Maynard

switch-box.pdf

but this is beyond science

Yeah, I guess that's what it's all about. All we really need to do is read measurements, listening be damned.

Well, I tried the "y" thing. CD player sounded just fine through the Onkyo but through the Marantz the sound quality was very poor and grainy. Time for plan B, Lol.

If you can hear degredation with a "Y" connector, you will hear it with a switch box too. Adding more parts to the signal path is never a good thing. But make sure the "science" is right, or you will never be happy.............

Shakey

If the switch is operating properly and wired correctly with proper attention to shielding there will be no audible signal degradation.

It is possible to have interference with some "Y" connections but a switch isolates the input connected to the idle reciever, thus preventing any interference issues.

Edited by Don Richard