what are folks opinions on these speakers?

Schu

Schu,

The horns look like they are 2360A type (short throw). I have the 2365A type (medium throw), but haven't tried them yet. One of those things in storage.

Doc Who and others say they tend to 'quack' at higher volumes. Claude used some in his old system, so he might be a better one to tell you how they sound. I felt that my listening levels probably aren't high enough to cause a problem.

The horn goes from below 500Hz to over 16Khz, supposedly with even coverage. I don't know anything at all about the bass bins.

Bruce

Stay away.

I just captured the following from another forum for a thread in 2-channel, but this is probably the better place to put it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This might be a good time to discuss diffraction slots.

Narrow diffraction slots degrade audio quality. To maintain 150° dispersion at 16Khz requires a slot width of only 0.417". A quick listen to various horns with slots will demonstrate to the listener that the horns with the narrowest slots and the longest tails back to the driver entry have the most compressed sound and as a consequence make quacking sounds at higher levels. Sometimes it can sound like someone if frying bacon on your system.

A JBL 2380 can sound quite nasty at higher power levels, the EV HP940 sounds a bit better, but the HP640 sounds much, much better.

Why?

The slots on the wider dispersion horns are vertical, and as such are much narrower. The slot on the HP640 is in the horizontal plane and only diffracts in the vertical plane. To control for 40° vertical at 16Khz the slot only need be 1.56", so it is not 'squishing' the sound through a narrow slot and doesn't sound so compressed. The HP640 has kerfed metal vanes in the throat area to control the horizontal dispersion, allowing it to act a bit like a multi-cell horn without the 'fingering' problem that multi-cells have at higher frequencies.

Edited by _djk_ - 18 November 2012 at 2:11am
djk