Short user "review" of my new Klipsch system

kini62

Try moving them around. Didn't matter where I had them in my room they had a much larger sound to them over the 52's. Hope you find that as well! And the bass they make is just crazy isn't it?

I have them in the same location as the 52s were in. Maybe if I A/B'd them I would have been able to tell, but I boxed the 52s up for return on Monday. I'm sure they have a bigger sound but without a back to back I just can't tell. I know they have a lot more oomph and like I mentioned a ton more bass.

I still have to mess around with running them large or with a crossover.

Thanks for the help so far.

Awe man I thought you were gonna a/b them. That's too bad. You would have noticed immediately. Yeah the bass from the 62/82 is just unreal compared to the 42/52. But as you can tell the cabinet is like twice the size

I do have a question on the bass. Hopefully you'll read this.

Anyway, with the 52s when I ran them full range and the sub set to what is essentially double bass, they had a little more punch then when I went with them crossed over. I like a 100hz in my system and actually like 120 for the center and surrounds. Anyway the 52s sounded better full range.

So I tried the 62s that way and noticed a lack of bass (relatively speaking). So I set a 100hz crossover and and BOOM! There was the bass.

What is happening when running them full range and double bass? Is there some type of cancellation going on?

I watched Pacific Rim last night and at only -20db I had a wall of sound coming at me(us) with a ton of bass (sub on of course).

Why do I get more bass with the 62s set to small? It wasn't this way with the 52s.

Thanks.

It's because the sub is only getting the lfe channel and not the added bass from the front l r. Then when you cross them over the sub gets a hotter signal and plays louder. You would need to level match everything to get good comparison. I personaly think the sub sounds better with just lfe content. The rears and center dont get much bass so x over them does very little for movies.

Edited by reference_head

With the sub set to LR +LFE the sub is getting everything and the LR are also getting the full range signal. I can tell the sub is working but there just isn't as much bass as there is when the LR are set to small or crossed over. It does sound really good set to small.

Sub is up front and phase set to zero.

Thanks

The reason a lot of the literature on subwoofer setup recommends setting the speakers to small is due to phase and cancellation issues that occur when running the speakers set to Large. To get good bass is very dependent on subwoofer location. You can't move the mains or other speakers around like the subwoofer. Most modern avr's are design to use bass management and do it well. Even with my RF 7's, I run them as Small and the bass is definetly stronger for HT.

The double bass setting is generall bad for producing good clean bass. Speakers set to large undergo more cone movement and breakup at higher volume since they have a larger frequency range to reproduce. If the subwoofer is lacking in a system then it may be necessary to set the speakers to large since multichannel demands of HT can ask a lot out of the sub. This will sound like a clacking nosie and means that the sub is hitting max excursion. Also port nosie is a sign that a sub is being forced work out of it's comfort zone. Electronics that work hard wear out and break sooner, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1

Thanks. I'm thinking it must be a cancellation issue. The reason it wasn't noticeable with the 52s was because they just didn't have near the bass the 62s do.

I've been listening to music this afternoon with no sub and the 62s sound great in stereo, where the 52s didn't. It's easy to turn the sub on and off via the AVR so for most music I'll probably run them without the sub. For my metal I'll bring the sub back in though. :)