RSW-10d bad amp / All subwoofer issues questions are welcome

dimanata2007

You shouldn't be running it that hot anyways. You should set it around 0 and then run your receiver calibration and let it set the avr sub level trims properly.

Scrappy is correct on this. No need to overdrive that new amp.

The RSW-10d is one very punchy subwoofer and you will love it for music. It holds it's own pretty well for a "smallish" sub down to about 28Hz and then drops like a rock. Not the best extension for HT. As good as my Revel B15 and SVS SB13 Plus are as well rounded high quality subwoofers for music and HT, the RSW-10d is still the most musical of the bunch.

Enjoy your new toy,

Bill

Edited by willland

You shouldn't be running it that hot anyways. You should set it around 0 and then run your receiver calibration and let it set the avr sub level trims properly.

Scrappy is correct on this. No need to overdrive that new amp.

The RSW-10d is one very punchy subwoofer and you will love it for music. It holds it's own pretty well for a "smallish" sub down to about 28Hz and then drops like a rock. Not the best extension for HT. As good as my Revel B15 and SVS SB13 Plus are as well rounded high quality subwoofers for music and HT, the RSW-10d is still the most musical of the bunch.

Enjoy your new toy,

Bill

Thanks.

Considering that I paid $50 for the sub, $100 for the amp, new cord and couple hrs for cleaning and fixing starches and few smashed corners I think I did well.

LCD bezel got few scratches, so I'm planning to send it down and repaint it in grey to make it look better.

Q:

I tried to tight up all wires inside of the sub with Velcro, but they still have some slack and most likely would be moving inside of the cabined when drivers will be "jumping" in and out. Could it damage the Amp or connections? Any way to immobilize wires completely or it is not necessary?

Edited by dimanata2007

Well make sure if you turn down gain on the sub itself you recalibrating again. As it all works off voltage. So your calibration would be off if you mess with the volume on sub.

I calibrated after I was sure that amp works and turned gain up only to wake up my wife and kid. :) and turn gain back to innitial 3db after that.

Edited by dimanata2007

^ just did.

:)

When I bought this sub I wasn't sure what exactly it need. Previous owner said that amp was bad, but it could have bad driver, control board or interface LCD or all the above. Cabinet also was not in the best shape. Got lucky with an amp and all damages got fixed up pretty well.

Amp looks brand new, has "made in china" stamp, few test marks but no production date or Klipsch/Bash logo on it. Looks exactly like original amp though, just power supply looks different, I hope it’s a good thing and new amps are more reliable than old once.

Here is an interesting piece on one guys experience with an RSW-10d.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/732353/my-london-drugs-experience-w-the-klipsch-rsw10d

A small excerpt:

The one complaint I had was that this thing was so powerful it was rattling the grill which was securely fastened to the front of the passive radiator during "Jurassic lunch" stomps leading up to the crunch. I took some measurements from 4 feet, with my meter, and wrote them down: the sub was in about 12inches from the wall, active driver facing into middle of room passive against the wall.

This room was roughly 22 feet by 16feet.

With a reference volume of 107dB at 53 Hz:
(Note this was not max output of the unit, it had more to go)

70 Hz @ 102db
67 Hz @ 103
63 Hz @ 104
56 Hz @ 104
53 Hz @ 107
50 Hz @ 109
45 Hz @ 108
43 Hz @ 108
40 Hz @ 108
37 Hz @ 108
34 Hz @ 107
32 Hz @ 102