Conrad Johnson Classic, is good enough to go with my seth amp and Klipsch Belle?

BBZink

I am searching for a good line preamp and dac, so far i received those offer?

1 A benchmark Dac-1 that should be neutral and preserve my 2A3 sound? or 2 going for a conrad johnson classic, but it seems this preamp has been discontinuated, so with what pv?? number from Conrad i should search for?

I seach the forum but it doesn't bring me the info, i have searched? maybe in the old forum?

i am new with the new forum, sorry if i duplicated a subject?

Regards

Edited by tapajeurs

Tapajeurs, I would not run to get a Conrad Johnson, as they are generally a little veiled and colored. That is NOT what you want with your SETH, as it will reduce the best attributes. I also would stay away from all McIntosh and Marantz vintage preamps, as they also are in the same boat.

For clarity, neutrality, and just doing a great job, the two newer and three vintage pres I have had great luck with are the JuicyMusic Merlin(now out of production) and Craig's NOSValves NBS preamp, and from the vintage side, the Ampex stereo preamp, the Fairchild 248, and the Audio Research SP3 MKII. I have heard all of these driving SET amps, and they were all superlative.

Note that anything can sound wonderful IF you massage and mod the HE)($*#@ out of it, but these hit the bullseye without any work, which is a great place to start.

the Ampex stereo preamp, the Fairchild 248, and the Audio Research SP3 MKII.
Wow, you may be the only one on the forum who has ever even seen a Fairchild 248! I once had their mono pre, the 245 I think, but it's been a very, very long time since I've even ever seen a pic. You're a rare bird, Dave.

Hey Larry, Captn Bob had one, but sold/traded it to a friend about twenty years ago. I am sure there are a couple other old buzzards who twisted Fairchild knobs in the past as well, but it's really a way back machine thing now. Here are a couple photos of my humble Fairchilds. If you come across any Fairchild amp, I need one to go with the preamp(s) and the 412 table to make up a complete Fairchild setup. :cool:

DSCN2878_zps7859ee32.jpg

DSCN2879_zpsb37a8028.jpg

DSCN2877_zps1ce934f0.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Larry, Captn Bob had one, but sold/traded it to a friend about twenty years ago. I am sure there are a couple other old buzzards who twisted Fairchild knobs in the past as well, but it's really a way back machine thing now. Here are a couple photos of my humble Fairchilds. If you come across any Fairchild amp, I need one to go with the preamp(s) and the 412 table to make up a complete Fairchild setup. :cool:

DSCN2879_zpsb37a8028.jpg

DSCN2877_zps1ce934f0.jpg

Wow does bring back a memory or two. The 245 had a rare tape head input, too, which I used with my Ampex 934 no-electronics deck. I also had a Fairchild 255A, a 35-watt mono amp if I remember all that correctly. Long gone, of course.

Is that 260 yours? Fairchild 260 on the forum is the only one I ever heard of who actually had even one let along a pair of 'em.

Yea, that is Fairchild 260's(Chis) 260, Larry. He has the pair, but in this photo, he only is running the one. SETI is always looking for a Brook 12A, and I am stalking for a 255 or a 260, so keep your eyes open on the east coast if you could.

Tapajeurs, I wish you were in Chicago, so you could come down for a listening session. SET amps are really extremely sharp ice skates. If you don't get the preamp exactly where you want to be, it can throw off the entire presentation, which is the reason why you bought the amp in the first place.

Well guys, i have purchased the Classic CJ and i have a Croft micro 25R for preamp to. Two great preamp and two differents ball game, but what a great sound! and yes i wish i was there in Chicago, i will travel there sometimes in the future it is on my bucket list for sure! i use to have a fairchild turntable with the huge aluminum platters a 412, if i remember well, i have sold it for 50$ to an Ottawa guy, didn't know it was so rare and that good! anyhow i am glad that i could have it for a year or two! Great pic and awsome system!