La scala- BOX-what to do?

DrJRowden

I have recently inherited 4 La scalas. They came from a bar, they are not matching. They are too beat up to put a veneer on. I had an expert cabinet carpenter look at them, and he want to put an external box on them. Leave the existing box, but do an oak case on the outside. What do you audiophiles think about this? Will this affect the original sound?

thanks for the help

Dr.J

I'd personally wrap it in 3/4" plywood. Make it look pretty. Doing that will strengthen the sidewalls and lower their resonating issues.

I'd also ditch the two horns in lieu of the K510 and make it a 2-way like this:

hey coyote, what driver is on that 510, is it a k69a?? also what is the crossover freqnecy between that la scala Bin and the 510?

Yes, K-69

I'm using wife's iPad now so don't have specifics but the crossover point is slightly under 500 Hz if memory serves.

Yes, the JubScala crossover point is around 460-480 Hertz. Since the bass top-end roll-off and the treble bottom-end roll-off are not exactly the same, in order to avoid a dip, it's hard to say precisely where the actual audio crossover is, as opposed to the settings used to give that ideal crossover point.

BTW, having the crossover below 500 Hz like that means that the treble amp carries more of the load than the bass amp, which is not typical of most speakers. If you consider a Jubscala to cover the range from 40 Hz to 20K Hz, that's 9 octaves. The woofer covers roughly 3-1/2 octaves, while the tweeter covers roughly 5-1/2 octaves.

This explains why, with two matching power amps, the treble amp runs just a bit warmer than the bass amp.