Jl 113 vs two PB13 ultras

holtrp

I haven't ever heard 18" subs that play as fast as 12's. Scrappy and Derrick both say their 18s are more than capable though. I have to admit though, most of the 12's I have heard have been ported which are more than likely very uneven.

Yeah, okay, I don't agree but I see. I never understood where this "fast" description came from. Of course an 18-inch driver won't have to move as far to displace as much volume as a 12-inch driver, so driven at the same frequency the 12-inch has to go faster because its excursion is much greater. But I guess you are thinking not of what really happening but a description of what it sounds like it's doing. But lower excursion means less distortion, so I always figure that a bigger driver should lead to less distortion (other things being equal).

• Like 1

Maybe he is thinking like 12 years ago like when I first got into car audio. At that time there wasn't a single 15 that I ever heard that sounded as good with heavy rock music as a couple of 10" woofers. Might have been some real high end ones but I never heard any. Most guys that had 15's in their car were just after extreme spl or really low bass. Most guys I knew rocked 2-4 10" woofers and they were SO CLEAN with just about anything you could throw on them. Well with modern technology I think woofers have come along way. I don't miss 10" woofers one but. I have debated taking my 12" jl out of my car and putting in a single 18" Si just like what's in my basement.

I haven't ever heard 18" subs that play as fast as 12's. Scrappy and Derrick both say their 18s are more than capable though. I have to admit though, most of the 12's I have heard have been ported which are more than likely very uneven.

Yeah, okay, I don't agree but I see. I never understood where this "fast" description came from. Of course an 18-inch driver won't have to move as far to displace as much volume as a 12-inch driver, so driven at the same frequency the 12-inch has to go faster because its excursion is much greater. But I guess you are thinking not of what really happening but a description of what it sounds like it's doing. But lower excursion means less distortion, so I always figure that a bigger driver should lead to less distortion (other things being equal).

Less cone excursion should lead to less distortion which also applies to speakers. That is one reason subwoofers are recommended for HT and not running the speakers as large. The real world test is where all this becomes audible in a particular system.

• 1 month later...

Did a ton of research and just received my SB-13 Ultra for my <5000 sf room which is quite open and far from ideal. 15x25x8-16' ceiling and open to the interior of the house at both ends. Even the reviewers thought that plugging the ports on the SVS PB-13 Ultra sounded better than open ports. At that point, why not just get an SB... Which is what the reviewers did. I personally like a more tight/authentic base. Not into a boomy base and this SB will still rock the house. But to each his own on that. The SB us supposed to go pretty low before it rolls off the subsonic, like about 3db above the PB with open ports. In any case, a pair of either PB or SB I would hope will still meet your requirements. SVS does have their 45 day test drive with free return shipping. Hope that helps...