Help Speaker System

dynastyraider

I'm planning to setup my home theater next year and I would like to start with

Front = 2 RF-82 II
Center = RC-62 II
Sub = SW112
I'm already decided on those speakers but still haven't made my mind on the other speakers, receiver and wires.
the home theater would just be used mainly for movies 80% and music. the room size is 15' x 14'. the room is not pre-wired for home theater so I'll be running wires around for my back and side speakers.
I'm gonna start with 2.1 and eventually expand it to 7.1.
1. What gauge should I select for my speaker wires?
2. I have a short list of receivers.
Onkyo TX-NR828
Denon AVR-X3000
PIONEER VSX-1123K
Yamaha RX-V1075
Harman Kardon AVR 3700
Which do you think is the best for my setup?
And can any of these receivers power my setup?
Onkyo TX-NR727, TX-NR626, Denon AVR-X2000, OR RX-V675
When I was looking for receivers I was just searching for the RMS that's above 100w per channel. I know RF 82 II is 150 W. is that the correct way of looking for receivers that can power those speakers?
3. Which speakers should I choose for the rest of my setup
Side = RF 62 II OR RB 61 II OR RB 81
Back = RS-52 II OR RB 61 II OR RB 81
Can I use RF 62 II as side or back speakers?
Thanks.

Your setup is a good start for sure. Id look at other brands for subs unless you just want to stick with klipsch. Looking elsewhere will get you more boom for the buck.

I like 12 gauge wiring and I use banana plugs. I buy monoprice speaker wire, its cheap and just wire. Monster doesnt make any better of a product IMO. I just bought 250ft of 12 gauge one channel cl2 rated wire and 100ft of cl2 biwire from monoprice for my inceiling install. Buy cl2 as its fire rated for inwall install. You dont need cl2 if you are just running it along walls and stuff.

I like my emotiva rca's personally and think they are better than the monoprice digital coax but thats up for debate.

As for power, speakers are rated at rms which is the max power recommend ed be put to the speakers consistantly and then a max wattage for those dynamic peaks which are reached only in short bursts. Generally its nice to have headroom which is a power reserve over the rms. Its nice to have 50 watts over rms for transistor amps bur thats more a personal guideline if I can help it.

I run 125 watts of true power from my power amp and that makes my rf7's sing for days and I am under the rms wattage as far as ppowr output goes. Media is dynamic so that means the signal will be amplified dynamically which means your speakers will be driven with varying amounts of power which then hinges on the amplitude of volume qith which you want to listen at.

I am on my phone and cant review your receiver selection at this time but will try later.

As for speakers, you can use floorstanding or on wall bookshelf or dedicated surrounds. This really depends on layout and furniture in your room. I went with in ceiling as my room depth is about 15 feet and my couch is against the wall and it quite big.

Please do yourself a favor and call mike at acoustic sound design for the VERY best price! The more you buy at once the more you save. I'd shoot for a 5.0 at first. Search elsewhere for a sub. Klipsch doesn't hang bang for buck with other companies like Svs, hsu, psa.

I'd go for rs speakers on sides as they are much better for movies plus designed to be on the sides then a RB for surrounds backs. So I'd go 82's front 62 center 52's side and 61's for rear. Should be able to get that set for around 23-2400$

I'd take a denon over any others listed. Make sure you buy with preouts so you can add an amp down the road

Your setup is a good start for sure. Id look at other brands for subs unless you just want to stick with klipsch. Looking elsewhere will get you more boom for the buck.

I like 12 gauge wiring and I use banana plugs. I buy monoprice speaker wire, its cheap and just wire. Monster doesnt make any better of a product IMO. I just bought 250ft of 12 gauge one channel cl2 rated wire and 100ft of cl2 biwire from monoprice for my inceiling install. Buy cl2 as its fire rated for inwall install. You dont need cl2 if you are just running it along walls and stuff.

I like my emotiva rca's personally and think they are better than the monoprice digital coax but thats up for debate.

As for power, speakers are rated at rms which is the max power recommend ed be put to the speakers consistantly and then a max wattage for those dynamic peaks which are reached only in short bursts. Generally its nice to have headroom which is a power reserve over the rms. Its nice to have 50 watts over rms for transistor amps bur thats more a personal guideline if I can help it.

I run 125 watts of true power from my power amp and that makes my rf7's sing for days and I am under the rms wattage as far as ppowr output goes. Media is dynamic so that means the signal will be amplified dynamically which means your speakers will be driven with varying amounts of power which then hinges on the amplitude of volume qith which you want to listen at.

I am on my phone and cant review your receiver selection at this time but will try later.

As for speakers, you can use floorstanding or on wall bookshelf or dedicated surrounds. This really depends on layout and furniture in your room. I went with in ceiling as my room depth is about 15 feet and my couch is against the wall and it quite big.

How about this as a sub?

1 SVS PB12-NSD or 2 PB-1000

I'll go with 12 gauge then.

is this ok? http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2789&seq=1&format=2&utm_expid=58369800-11.KFcpHWqASSutMqNPOqaJVg.0&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.monoprice.com%2FCategory%3Fc_id%3D102%26cp_id%3D10239%26cs_id%3D1023901

which banana plug should i buy?

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=109&cp_id=10401

Do you think receiver with a RMS of around 100-125 W per channel is enough for my setup? I don't intend to buy any amp.

for my back speakers I think i'll just go with rs 52 ii. someone told me from another forum that the rs 62 ii is overkill for my setup. and maybe just go with rb 61 for my side speakers.

here's the drawing of the room i'll be setting it up. the right side is open and beside the stairs.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/gallery/image/226-20131216-210124/

Please do yourself a favor and call mike at acoustic sound design for the VERY best price! The more you buy at once the more you save. I'd shoot for a 5.0 at first. Search elsewhere for a sub. Klipsch doesn't hang bang for buck with other companies like Svs, hsu, psa.

I'd go for rs speakers on sides as they are much better for movies plus designed to be on the sides then a RB for surrounds backs. So I'd go 82's front 62 center 52's side and 61's for rear. Should be able to get that set for around 23-2400$

I'd take a denon over any others listed. Make sure you buy with preouts so you can add an amp down the road

Sorry I'm in Canada.

Which sub setup you recommend? pair of SVS PB-1000 or SVS PB12-NSD

I can't have the RS speakers on the side because the right side of the room is open. so maybe i'll go with rs 52 at the back adnd rb 61 on the side?

how about rf 62 ii as side speakers?

20131216 210124

Hate to tell you this but mike will ship to canada. Get on his site and hit live chat. Ask for a quote and then tell

Him your zip. I just checked for another Canadian guy and I still think even it's shipping it will beat any price up there.

As far as rs in the back it's not what they are designed for. So save your money and just go with 61's for all four in back.

That's too bad you can make a bracket or something for the rs on the sides. They really are much better for music as you get lost in them when they are on the sides.

I don't get your drawing. It looks like a perfect spot for rs speakers.

Svs is great but did you look at psa as well? I've never heard them but after owning some Svs ultras and then moving to 18's I really do believe that big woofers can move big air much easier. For only 40$ more I think you can have the xv-15 over the PB-12nsd.

That room also looks small enough if you ain't ever moving anywhere larger I'd just worry about a great 5.1 first. No way I'd do seven again unless I sat four or five feet in front of the back wall. I used to run 7.1 in my first place I lived in San Diego and it was a waste of money to have the back speakers above me. I could never even hear them

off the cuff after brief review, the onkyo looks good. I am a harman kardon guy and that one you selected uses class D amplifier technology which is why it is on the lighter side of things. The denon is also worth considering.

I know you said you only want a receiver but i will tell you this, an outboard amp is quite possibly the best thing you can do for your speakers and will outlast your processor 3 to 1 if its a quality one assuming an almost 20 year life expectancy if not longer. just some food for thought.

As for subs, there are tons of brands to choose from. SVS sold me on their in home trial and their reputation which was nothing but tried and true when i got my subs. I had 2 faulty amps in a row on my one sub and it was practically replaced with maybe 1 question asked and that was "what is wrong with it". It was an absolute pleasure. Their sledge amps also get enormously high praise. BAM, i was sold. I wanted a company that i felt would be around for a while and they were it. I looked at rythmik audio but didn't get the warm an fuzzies like SVS gave me. Rythmik feels more like the DIYer you are on your own type deal which i didnt want. HSU makes good subs but use foam surrounds on their higher end subs which tend to degrade quicker over time than rubber surrounds. Foam has good damping characteristics but i prefer a rubber/butyl rubber. Epik is another brand but it didnt really impress me.

The svs subs you are looking at are good choices. I like dual subs because it helps keep room response even although you can still mget good response with one sub. Check out their cylinders too for smaller footprint with the same performance, i heart mine.

That room also looks small enough if you ain't ever moving anywhere larger I'd just worry about a great 5.1 first. No way I'd do seven again unless I sat four or five feet in front of the back wall. I used to run 7.1 in my first place I lived in San Diego and it was a waste of money to have the back speakers above me. I could never even hear them

You're right I should I just worry about 5.1 for now.

This is not the actual room but it will be the same size and layout.

08bonus 685 450 95

so probably just rb 61 II on both sides with a stand?
do you think it will sound ok if i put rf 62 II as side speakers?

off the cuff after brief review, the onkyo looks good. I am a harman kardon guy and that one you selected uses class D amplifier technology which is why it is on the lighter side of things. The denon is also worth considering.

I know you said you only want a receiver but i will tell you this, an outboard amp is quite possibly the best thing you can do for your speakers and will outlast your processor 3 to 1 if its a quality one assuming an almost 20 year life expectancy if not longer. just some food for thought.

As for subs, there are tons of brands to choose from. SVS sold me on their in home trial and their reputation which was nothing but tried and true when i got my subs. I had 2 faulty amps in a row on my one sub and it was practically replaced with maybe 1 question asked and that was "what is wrong with it". It was an absolute pleasure. Their sledge amps also get enormously high praise. BAM, i was sold. I wanted a company that i felt would be around for a while and they were it. I looked at rythmik audio but didn't get the warm an fuzzies like SVS gave me. Rythmik feels more like the DIYer you are on your own type deal which i didnt want. HSU makes good subs but use foam surrounds on their higher end subs which tend to degrade quicker over time than rubber surrounds. Foam has good damping characteristics but i prefer a rubber/butyl rubber. Epik is another brand but it didnt really impress me.

The svs subs you are looking at are good choices. I like dual subs because it helps keep room response even although you can still mget good response with one sub. Check out their cylinders too for smaller footprint with the same performance, i heart mine.

Which onkyo, denon or harman kardon you can recommend? my budget is just around 1,000. what RMS per channel should I be looking for?

I noticed you have pc12 ultra. do you think SVS pc12-nsd is good for my setup.

my short list for the sub is now

pair of SVS PB-1000 or SVS PB12-NSD OR 1 SVS pc12-nsd OR 1 SW 115

Which onkyo, denon or harman kardon you can recommend? my budget is just around 1,000. what RMS per channel should I be looking for?

I noticed you have pc12 ultra. do you think SVS pc12-nsd is good for my setup.

my short list for the sub is now

pair of SVS PB-1000 or SVS PB12-NSD OR 1 SVS pc12-nsd OR 1 SW 115

For me, spending more than $600 on a receiver is a bit nuts considering how quickly technology changes and if something goes in the amp or processor, the whole unit has to get repaired for who knows how much if its even worth repairing. Usually repairs get spendy quickly when it goes to the big manufacturers like denon, marantz onkyo, sony, rotel etc. For my 2 channel rotel receiver, its $150 to look at it and you have to preauthorize up to $150 in repairs, so possibly $300 out the door off the bat and it was for a unit that was already like 6+ years old. Granted, i still have it haha, and it doesnt really function but I want to fix it eventually, just because its a nice and heavy unit. Quality made.

I am hesitant to give you an opinion on which receiver you should get because I don't really have time to go through it with a fine toothed comb and research tons of reviews. I am huge into researching things before i make a purchase so i need to ask, are you just looking for a recommendation and hoping for the best or are you also trying to research these units in depth and have questions about them that you aren't asking? Everyone has a different interest level in audio. Some just want good sound and want it to work with no real interest in the nitty gritty while others like myself want to know everything, research and then ask opinions on specific units that they have deemed worthy and are looking for anyone with real world experience with those specific models. I often have to take chances on my purchases as no one has had experience with them and I rely on what pieces of good info I can find on the web. I would also consider Marantz as an option. If you say you just want a recommendation then we at least know that we should do some research because you haven't done much or any before we recommend something. It should go without saying but Caveat Emptor.

When it comes to multichannel power output of a receiver, most receivers see a heavy drop in power output with all channel driven, many times it's 30%-50% reduction. The class D amps in receivers seem to be on the higher end of output. Most of the advertising is done at 1 or 2 channels and only for a certain frequency band of say 1khz-20khz so you have to try and match apples to apples when possible. Its sort of a dim view on receivers but its the truth. For the majority of end users, receivers are fine and the end user is none the wiser so they have their place within the market. There used to be a huge gap between receivers and separates (amp/processor combos) but in recent years with Outlaw Audio and Emotiva emerging in the markets, separates are much more affordable and in some cases actually cheaper than a receiver or the same prices for those higher end receivers.

Klipsch speakers are very efficient which makes them easier to pair with receivers. Think of klipschs efficiency as a crutch for the deficiency in power abilities of most receivers. For the most part, you get really good performance out of a receiver with klipsch speakers. Other brands of speaker with sub 90db inefficiencies start to strain a receiver much more easily. If you can score a receiver with actual multi-channel output of 65-75 watts you'd be in a good power range.

As for the subs, I best you that 2 PB12-NSD or 2 PC12-NSD would do you well in your size room. They have an awesome trial program that you should read up on or even call SVS and ask them for their opinions, they are quite honest. My 2 PC12-Ultras make it sound like king kong in the house sometimes and they have awesome depth. My room is also twice the volume of your room so I need some additional umph.

For me, spending more than $600 on a receiver is a bit nuts considering how quickly technology changes and if something goes in the amp or processor, the whole unit has to get repaired for who knows how much if its even worth repairing. Usually repairs get spendy quickly when it goes to the big manufacturers like denon, marantz onkyo, sony, rotel etc.

My Denon 3808ci was $1800 back in 2007. 6 whole years ago! I bought it used from craigslist in 2010 or so. It supports all modern audio codecs, has better room EQ software than many new offerings, and has yet to have a single technical issue. The only things it lacks for modern technology is is 3D (wasteful fad), 4k (the rest of the gear is too expensive), and current integrated streaming apps (stupid to have those in your receiver). It has Rhapsody built in, but who uses that?

Everything changes rapidly for SubXero because he's constantly changing out components and not giving his ears enough time to find synergy between any of it.

Do your research, be slow to purchase, buy with confidence, and enjoy the gear for years to come - regardless of how much it is.

For me, spending more than $600 on a receiver is a bit nuts considering how quickly technology changes and if something goes in the amp or processor, the whole unit has to get repaired for who knows how much if its even worth repairing. Usually repairs get spendy quickly when it goes to the big manufacturers like denon, marantz onkyo, sony, rotel etc.

My Denon 3808ci was $1800 back in 2007. 6 whole years ago! I bought it used from craigslist in 2010 or so. It supports all modern audio codecs, has better room EQ software than many new offerings, and has yet to have a single technical issue. The only things it lacks for modern technology is is 3D (wasteful fad), 4k (the rest of the gear is too expensive), and current integrated streaming apps (stupid to have those in your receiver). It has Rhapsody built in, but who uses that?

Everything changes rapidly for SubXero because he's constantly changing out components and not giving his ears enough time to find synergy between any of it.

Do your research, be slow to purchase, buy with confidence, and enjoy the gear for years to come - regardless of how much it is.

Thaddeus, that's a pretty bold statement. It is true that I have gone through a lot of equipment and speakers over the course of a few years but it was to seek out that which pleases me most. My ear have found synergy with what I have and they are quite discerning. When i find equipment that I like, I tend to keep things for a long time, processors included. I have had my trials an tribulations with things breaking and I have gone a route that I was fortunate to have been afforded to me in the past. Its a route that allows a higher level of customization and flexibility and makes it easier to replace and or fix components that break or upgrade.

Thaddeus, you bought an $1,800 receiver used for how much in 2010? Someone had already bitten the bullet for you and you probably got it for a good price.

Its true, I have older receivers too and they don't have any HDMI and basically become a slave with just an optical input being used with the TV being a route for HDMI inputs. They are good units but are limited in usability because of their age. When/if they break, it won't be worth fixing because they are functionally obsolete. Technology moves at an incredibly fast pace and if you are someone who is very current with technology, upgrading and compatibility is always a concern.

All i am bringing to the table here are statistics of trends i've noticed in the plethora of reviews i've read and my personal opinions. I am also making suggestions to guide this person in determining what he needs. My time is precious and I am not about to waste it on someone that I can't judge deserves it or not.