Yamaha Aventage RX A1010 as processor?

timdog5000

Hello all,

I currently own a Yamaha receiver which I thought I would use as a processor and add external amps for the RF -7 ii HT i will start purchasing this Feb. however while looking at this forum and others I see that Yamaha's tend to be too bright. I also have read on forums that Audyssey room correction is far superior to YPAO. I also will not be able to EQ the subs from YPAO. I probably will have to use it at first till I can afford to get the receiver as well, that puts me in my comfort zone more because I know all the ins and outs of the Yamaha. My question is will I notice a huge difference having Audyssey or perhaps MCACC on a Pioneer Elite VS Yamahas YPAO? I appreciate any and all comments. Thanx!

I use my Pioneer Elite as a preamp with my system. MCACC does a good job and I am happy. Try it and see how you like it. I have never used Yamaha correction system so, no comments. Soon I will be running all or 5 channels off an external amp. As far as brightness, only you can determine what is to bright for you.

I have the rxa1000 and I can say in my opinion it is on the bright side. I have bought a couple of Parasound amps and it has helped tame it bigtime!! I don't have the rf7II tho, the II's are not as bright as the mine so it may be very different. I will say adding the amps and playing with configurations has been a blast and will never run off the avr again. The 1010 I am sure will sound good, but I listen to a lot of music as well in 2 channel and thats where i was having the "bright" trouble. Lets say you will have a good setup and there is room to improve as money allows!! As far as calibration, all I have ever used is the yammie so not able to help you with that, but my system sounds great to me watching a action movie or just a normal tv show. Good Luck

I currently own a Yamaha receiver which I thought I would use as a processor and add external amps for the RF -7 ii HT i will start purchasing this Feb. however while looking at this forum and others I see that Yamaha's tend to be too bright.

Timdog.

Is your Yamaha on the "bright" side with your current speakers. Presently how does it sound for music?

I am asking because I like a "brighter" sound when watching movies and a more neutral sound for music. Higher frequency movie special effects sound better when not rolled off, IMO. Does your Yamaha YPAO have more than one EQ setting? My NAD T175HD pre/pro not only has the usual Audyssey MultEQ XT settings of "Flat" and "Audyssey", it has NAD's own curve called "NAD EQ" which I prefer for music. I use the "Audyssey" curve for movies.

Bill

I use my Pioneer Elite as a preamp with my system. MCACC does a good job and I am happy. Try it and see how you like it. I have never used Yamaha correction system so, no comments. Soon I will be running all or 5 channels off an external amp. As far as brightness, only you can determine what is to bright for you.

I have the rxa1000 and I can say in my opinion it is on the bright side. I have bought a couple of Parasound amps and it has helped tame it bigtime!! I don't have the rf7II tho, the II's are not as bright as the mine so it may be very different. I will say adding the amps and playing with configurations has been a blast and will never run off the avr again. The 1010 I am sure will sound good, but I listen to a lot of music as well in 2 channel and thats where i was having the "bright" trouble. Lets say you will have a good setup and there is room to improve as money allows!! As far as calibration, all I have ever used is the yammie so not able to help you with that, but my system sounds great to me watching a action movie or just a normal tv show. Good Luck

I currently own a Yamaha receiver which I thought I would use as a processor and add external amps for the RF -7 ii HT i will start purchasing this Feb. however while looking at this forum and others I see that Yamaha's tend to be too bright.

Timdog.

Is your Yamaha on the "bright" side with your current speakers. Presently how does it sound for music?

I am asking because I like a "brighter" sound when watching movies and a more neutral sound for music. Higher frequency movie special effects sound better when not rolled off, IMO. Does your Yamaha YPAO have more than one EQ setting? My NAD T175HD pre/pro not only has the usual Audyssey MultEQ XT settings of "Flat" and "Audyssey", it has NAD's own curve called "NAD EQ" which I prefer for music. I use the "Audyssey" curve for movies.

Bill

Yes Willand it definitely is bright with music, do you think running it purely as processor will help with all power from amps? YPAO does have a 6 position room correction but is missing many features I read about with Audyssey. Ill probably go Emotiva and get an XPA-2 for mains and XPA-5 for surrounds. What is your opinion on the XPA-2 vs getting two XPA-5's and have room for expansion. Will I notice a big difference in the extra 100 watts that the XPA-2 has over the XPA-5? Actually I wont miss it because IVE NEVER HAD the speakers or the amps so cant miss what I never had. But in your opinion would the RF-7ii benefit from the extra 100 watts. I see MANY individuals(whose opinions are highly regarded by me, You being one of theml) on this forum running 200 watts to them. So is the XPA-2 overkill or will I have to be alot more careful?

Timdog.

Bill

I meant I respect your opinion on how you answer not that you have same setup.

I do appreciate the kind words. Just about every bit of knowledge about audio I have learned is from these great people on this forum.

What is your opinion on the XPA-2 vs getting two XPA-5's and have room for expansion. Will I notice a big difference in the extra 100 watts that the XPA-2 has over the XPA-5?

I don't think you will notice a huge difference running an XPA-2 on your fronts and XPA-5 on the rest over a pair of XPA-5's, especially for HT. The power difference in the two XPA's is minimal when it comes to volume(1.5 to 2.0 dB), but using an XPA-2 on your fronts "may" provide better separation for 2-channel music. If you are certain that you will expand to 9.1 or more in the future, then why not another XPA-5.

Bill

Just had an AHAA! moment, systems show up on signature on an ACTUAL computer. I tend to use my phone. I guess I need to start using desktop version on iphone instead of mobile. 'Im not really an idiot, but i DO play one on TV." :)

It is also easier to answer with a "quote" in same post from a desktop, as I did here.

Bill

I meant I respect your opinion on how you answer not that you have same setup.

I do appreciate the kind words. Just about every bit of knowledge about audio I have learned is from these great people on this forum.

What is your opinion on the XPA-2 vs getting two XPA-5's and have room for expansion. Will I notice a big difference in the extra 100 watts that the XPA-2 has over the XPA-5?

I don't think you will notice a huge difference running an XPA-2 on your fronts and XPA-5 on the rest over a pair of XPA-5's, especially for HT. The power difference in the two XPA's is minimal when it comes to volume(1.5 to 2.0 dB), but using an XPA-2 on your fronts "may" provide better separation for 2-channel music. If you are certain that you will expand to 9.1 or more in the future, then why not another XPA-5.

Bill

I may consider front presence speaker in the future, or I have even read that there may be a move to speakers ABOVE you on the ceiling . Im sure that someday it will be 25.4 but Im pretty content with 7.2, just lusting after switching out my speaks and giving them proper power. come Feb. 1st Ill be in the garage sale section with my WTB. I also found through scrappy some pretty amazing deals through acoustic sound design. Teeter tottering on which way to go with this point.

I may consider front presence speaker in the future, or I have even read that there may be a move to speakers ABOVE you on the ceiling . Im sure that someday it will be 25.4 but Im pretty content with 7.2, just lusting after switching out my speaks and giving them proper power. come Feb. 1st Ill be in the garage sale section with my WTB. I also found through scrappy some pretty amazing deals through acoustic sound design. Teeter tottering on which way to go with this point.

Yes Willand it definitely is bright with music, do you think running it purely as processor will help with all power from amps? YPAO does have a 6 position room correction but is missing many features I read about with Audyssey. Ill probably go Emotiva and get an XPA-2 for mains and XPA-5 for surrounds. What is your opinion on the XPA-2 vs getting two XPA-5's and have room for expansion. Will I notice a big difference in the extra 100 watts that the XPA-2 has over the XPA-5? Actually I wont miss it because IVE NEVER HAD the speakers or the amps so cant miss what I never had. But in your opinion would the RF-7ii benefit from the extra 100 watts. I see MANY individuals(whose opinions are highly regarded by me, You being one of theml) on this forum running 200 watts to them. So is the XPA-2 overkill or will I have to be alot more careful?

I too was looking at emotiva, Called them and asked about noise and like issies and the guy in tech told me to stay away from the XPA with klipsch as they are high gain amps and you will hear that in the klipsch, it was enough to scar me away!! I think he recomended the upa 100 or 200. Give them a call and see, this was a year or so ago. Used parasounds sell all the time pretty reasonable. Not saying the best amp out there but I am very happy with mine, very warm sounding