Clear difference in sound playing pink noise

poi_swe

Hi, bought myself a new setup of speakers a couple of months ago and noticed that while doing level calibration with the AVR the sound from one of the front speakers sound much more "dull" and not as clear/high as the other.

The AVR is not the problem, have tested with two different (Yamaha, Onkyo).

I think the tweeter is ok ... it's producing sound just not as clear/high. I have tried to swap positions of the fronts (left/right) and cables but the difference is still there with the same speaker.

Is the speaker defective? What could be wrong? Are there any other good test-sounds to use for trouble-shooting?

Fronts: RF-62 II, AVR: Yamaha 2030.

(center: RC-62 II, surround: RS-52 II)

Sorry for my bad English :)

Regards

Teo

Sweden

Your English is fine Teo and welcome to the forum.

If the problem follows one speaker when you reverse channels and the problem persist with two other receivers then there would seem to be a problem with the one speaker. If you changed the cables then phasing should not be the problem. Have you checked the speaker binding post to make sure it is secure? I am not very familiar with AVR I'm afraid...just thinking out loud.

You have done what I would have tried.

Beyond that I am at a loss.....other ideas to follow.

Edited by Tarheel

I'd put my ear by each driver and see if you can isolate it to one in particular. You have the advantage of having a properly working speaker that you can swap parts to and from to help isolate the problem. Be sure to check all connectors at the drivers for tightness.

Personally, instead of diagnosing the problem myself, I'd contact the store that you purchased them from and see about a warranty repair BEFORE you take anything apart.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input ... did some more testing to see if reversing the phases (swapping +/-) on the front speakers would make them sound more equal (to test for an internal connection error) but the clear difference is still there.

One thing i noticed while playing pink noise is that the "dull" speaker is not as "wide" in the highs as the other one the sound is more direct and maybe that is the correct sound :). Maybe this is just a standard deviation between produced speakers? Looking at the serial numbers on the back they are quite far apart. Could be due to differences in the internal filters?

When playing with normal sounds the difference cannot be heard (at least not easily). Can pink noise pronounce deviations between produced speakers or should they always sound (almost) the same?

The problem is o bought them from Ireland so sending them back is not cheap .... but the correct ways is through the store... yes.

/T

I am no electrician, But I would try using a ohm meter and measuring the "good speaker" and the other one and comparing the result. They should be very very close if not identical. Also if you have seperate binding post for bi wiring check the HF and low on each speaker and that should tell you what driver has the issue. What model speakers are we dealing with here?

You said you reversed polarity to see if there was an internal connection issue. It could be that only one of the drivers has it's wires reversed. Also, are you listening to the speakers side by side, or on different sides of the room? Side by side, they should sound identical.