Need Advice for new DAC

Gorm

I got a Benchmark DAC-2 for X-mas to replace my DAC-1. I highly recommend the DAC-2. I used a tube buffer with my DAC-1..........absolutely unnecessary with a DAC-2. However, plan on dishing out about $2K. A Benchmark will be in the BelCanto range of sound quality. It's up there. The DAC-2 is also a preamp and has a ton of inputs (digial and analog) and outputs for 3 separate systems.

My DAC-1 USB is for sale for $650 if interested. Also, an excellent DAC.

I am also looking at the DAC2 L version Did you realize that they have a DAC 2 without a headphone amp and jacks for $200 less. It also has a much cleaner faceplate than the HGC version? How did you use a tape buffer with the DAC-1 and what was it for????

I am also looking at a Mytek DAC which is in the same league. I may order them both and decide. Both have 30 day trials.

I have the DAC-2 L version...........very happy with it. Plenty of I/O. Host of improvements from DAC-1.

I use the tube buffer on the tape loop of my preamp. It is a Yagin that uses a single 6922 and NOSValves hot rodded it. Works well to add a tube sound when I want it. Basically, it takes the digital edge off and lends some 3D front to back of soundstage increase as well. However, it was needed more for the DAC-1. The DAC-2 has a softer more analog sound than DAC-1 and the tube buffer is not really as impactful with DAC-2.

I have the DAC-2 L version...........very happy with it. Plenty of I/O. Host of improvements from DAC-1.

I use the tube buffer on the tape loop of my preamp. It is a Yagin that uses a single 6922 and NOSValves hot rodded it. Works well to add a tube sound when I want it. Basically, it takes the digital edge off and lends some 3D front to back of soundstage increase as well. However, it was needed more for the DAC-1. The DAC-2 has a softer more analog sound than DAC-1 and the tube buffer is not really as impactful with DAC-2.

Did you ever look into the Mytek DAC ?

Edited by Cut-Throat