Need help? Building system $4000 budget

Timothy1180

So this is my first post. I'm coming from a nice definitive technology system that I've enjoyed but feel like its time for a change.

What I have:

Fronts-bp7001

Center- clr2000

Front heights-sm450

Surr-bpx

Receiver-pioneer 1522k

Sub- rythmik fv15hp

What I want

Fronts- rf82ii(really want rf7ii but to much right now)

Center- rc64ii

Front heights- rb61ii

Surr- rs62ii vs rf82ii ( don't know?????)

Receiver - onkyo 1010,onkyo929, denon x4000, pioneer elite sc75 ( don't know here either????)

Sub- staying with my rythmik

So my questions are....... Rf82ii are cheaper than rs62ii which will be better as surround? I like the idea of having the towers for surrounds, but I want the best sound.

Next question..... I really like my pioneer but I was going to put it in my master bedroom with my deftech speakers. So I wanted a new one. I know onkyo has had problems but I'm ok with taking the chance. So what receiver will sound the best with these klipsch speakers? I'm also open to yamaha or marantz too.

I know that most people will tell me to get the rf7ii now and just wait on surrounds and height speakers. I want to get all 7 now. I'll get rf7ii down the road some time.

Thanks ahead time.

Call mike at acoustic sound design for awesome pricing, see what deals he can give you

You room is the same same dims as mine, the rf7's are much better for this size room. I had my rf5's and they did the job but the 7's give you a really engulfing experience.

Edited by SuBXeRo

You can't ask him what's better between those two because It is room dependent on your setup and personal prefernce. If your *** is centered in the room and you have room behind you' get towers, if you need an on wall solution and have room behind you get theirs surrounds. Alternatively you can get bookshelves to do the job. Personally I think towers are way overkill for surrounds. Get bookshelf or surrounds.

There are so many receivers that work well with klipsch, take your pick. I like denon, marantz, pioneer, onkyo just to name a few. Some say yahmahas are too bright but that's a subjective statement. Also look at Harman kardon too, they are my fav for ceiver stuff with denon marantz and onkyo tied for second. Choosing a specific model depends on budget and what features are important to you.

Edited by SuBXeRo

I don't know how set you are on towers for surround. I avoided it because I felt surround speakers, especially the Klipsch RS series with wide dispersion do a better job at reproducing surround effects than bookshelf's or towers. Just my opinion. Obviously, if you are really into 5 ch stereo, having full range towers would probably sound better, but for movie and SACD multi-channel source material, I think you will be just as happy with RS.

With that in mind, I demo'ed the rs-62 against the rs-52 for a few days in my home and honestly couldn't tell any difference between the two except for ~$200 in price. I have been very pleased with the RS-52 for years now and recently picked up another pair for rear surround.

Personally, I think you are building your setup backwards. Usually you try and build your front stage first as you want it and then let the surrounds follow. Surrounds are ancillary and are only used a small percentage of the time with your center used the most with your left and right following suit very closely. You don't have to get rs-62's, you could get way with rs52's but that's a choice you need to make.

I don't think I'm doing it backwards. I'm just trying to get all 7 at once. I think the 7 speakers will sound better than just two rf7 and rc64.

Also my bpx have 4 5.25 drivers in them with two tweeters and I hear them all the time. I feel like the rs52 is a lateral move. The rs62 is a upgrade I think. But I might miss the extra tweeter if I get rf82.

Am I wrong with these statements. I'm totally new to klipsch?

Def tech makes really good stuff and they are just different than klipsch. More drivers aren't always better, keep that in mind. What sounds good to you sounds good to you.

I lived with my 7's and rc7 center with subs only for almost 6 months and it did me well. I only just put in ceiling surrounds and i can say that it is nice to have that surround experience again. In my honest opinion, I would rather have my 7's in the front and no surrounds than smaller fronts.

It's all preference and you need to do what will work for you.

Also, why are you doing front highs instead of rear and side surrounds? I know people do front highs but it's usually the very last thing if at all people do.

Edited by SuBXeRo

The rf7ii are really that much better than rf82ii?

I heard them in a store but felt like it was not a huge difference but defiantly better.

But the 7 were powered by a onkyo 3010 and the 82 were powered by onkyo 727. So not fair comparison. The salesman wouldn't move 82 to other room.

the 82's and 7's are excellent speakers for movies. After having tested both my rf5's and rf-7's in the same room, the 7's hands down won out. The imaging is amazing and really gives you a wall of sound. If you had a smaller room, I would probably suggest the 82's to save money but there wouldnt be a reason you couldn't have 7's.

Department store demos suck, always have and always will. Its hard to buy speakers and judge them until you have your system calibrated and give it a fair shot and sometimes it takes months.

looks to be good enough! there are so many receivers on the market to choose from. I am not the best person to ask since i am so heavily for power amps and processors in lieu of receivers. I am also not very picky for bells and whistles. I just want good DAC's and high levels of control over crossovers, slopes and levels. I have never been much for the room correction stuff or streaming or ipod control really.

I have a sonos system now that lets me use almost any android or apple device with access to the sonos app, play music from their local device or from the network. Otherwise, i just use a 3.5mm to l/r for ipod connections.

heres my in-ceiling thread if you want to take a look

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/147147-santa-may-have-come-a-bit-early-in-ceiling-speaker-install/