I Added Some Room Gain

derrickdj1

There has been a lot of recent discussion on subwoofers and it got me thinking. I commented in a thread to get more sub output, buy more subs, or use a smaller room. Every since I moved my system downstairs to the concrete bunker I have notice less tactile feel compared to upstairs. My basement is a very large, 1300-1400 sq ft., open concept style room. I have sealed subs and need some room gain since is was non exsistent in the basement. I calculated that my room gain would start under 10 Hz. I even thought about another sub since the room is so large.

I did not want to put up a wall and compartmentalize the room. My solution was to make a barnyard door to help close off some of the open space. I closed off and area around 5 1/2 ft on one side. I gain almost 10 db between 15 and 20 Hz. The increase head room is nice: it allowed me to lower my bass boost in the PEQ. My next Project is to close off another open area of around 10 ft. with something similar. This will be much cheaper to do than buying more subs, lol. :)

Edited by derrickdj1

I have debated asking my dad if I can close off all the door openings in the theater but I'm not sure if it would help or not. Cause I am actually cutting at 20 hz to be flat down to 8 and I get the tactile feel already. Maybe I could find a spare door and out it in place somehow temporarily to try.

Glad your room is coming along a bit better.

I was not sure if something as simple as a door would make a big difference. The door I installed shorten one side of the room and increased the boundry gain. I don't want to put up a lot of wall so I am looking a doorway to keep the open concept and minimal construction. If you are flat to 8 Hz, I would say you are done. The one thing that I have noticed is the drop in power use of the system with the one door added.

The last couple of years I spent a lot of time trying different gear. I like all my gear and this year I will improve the room. My basement is around 60 ft. in legth which is why room gain is a problem.

Edited by derrickdj1

I should be putting up some drywall to make a small wall to hang a bifold door in the next couple of days. I will most likely never get a projector. But, in this hobby never is a bad word, lol. I don't really want a dedicated HT. I like a lounge type area for hanging out and multipurpose. Most of the time, I am the only one that will be using this area, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1

man you don't know what your missing out on. i probably would have never got rid of my 63 home theater if i has got the screen first. big screen adds so much to the experience. probably the best thing about having a big sound system. you really should consider it. for 1100 you could have a 100-150 inch screen.

If you get a motorized screen, and mount the projector up in the ceiling, you can avoid the dedicated theater look. After shopping around a lot, I finally bought my stuff at Visual Apex. Couldn't be happier...

edit: I am not using the hidden ceiling thing. I only needed a normal universal mount. Much much cheaper....

Edited by mustang guy

8 Hz!?! That's great. My two Klipsch RT-12d subs only stay flat to ~19 Hz. They are pretty small and efficient, each having two passive 12" drivers and one active, but were expensive and are too hard to find used. You have me drooling with these four 18" sealed subs that go to 8 Hz. I don't think I would ever worry about bass again if my system when down to 8 Hz. I may have to get to building soon :)

So, did you put one sub in each corner of the room?

I have debated asking my dad if I can close off all the door openings in the theater but I'm not sure if it would help or not. Cause I am actually cutting at 20 hz to be flat down to 8 and I get the tactile feel already. Maybe I could find a spare door and out it in place somehow temporarily to try.

Glad your room is coming along a bit better.

Edited by etc6849

Room gain which is dependent on the longest dimesion of the room plays a big part for sealed subs in the low end. You may have to add a bass boost or cut the bass depending on the room. Adding to significant of a boost robs the dynamics. Scrappy has a nice detailed build thread for his subs.

By Friday I will have two wall done and doors put up, except for painting. I can't wait to see what difference this will make for the LFE I can get to 15 Hz but I have to have a low boot of 6 db. when the basement was completely open..

Edited by derrickdj1

Well the wife did not like my hang door. So, I put up a couple of real walls and door. Below are pic's of the problem. Basically to large a room and open. I have the walls done and one door up. Tomorrow the other door will go up and then the painting will be left. I knocked of around 20 ft off the length of the room with the addition on the doors. In a few days I will see how much room gain I accomplished.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

I have a lot of things that rattle now. I have not noticed the new door rattling but, the bathroom and a few other door rattle like crazy. The doors rattle 10 -25 Hz and the wall pictures around 40 Hz. Can't wait to do a frequency sweep.

It is interesting approach the issue improving subwoofer performance based on room gain. The answer is not alway buy more subs or bigger subs.

Edited by derrickdj1

I am pleased with the project and successfully added room gain. Before room gain started at 18 Hz and now around 37.or 38 Hz. Before room gain would be 12 db up at 9 Hz and now that happens at 18 Hz. Results in strong 10 Hz performance of around 108 or 110 db. The significance of the project was to compensate for the sealed subs natural roll off. This project was equivalent to adding 1 1/2 to 2 more subs.

• Like 1