RF-7 RC-7 crossover schematics

Trey 153

Hello to everyone as this is my first post here on the forum. Could someone please direct me to where I can find the schematics for the RF-7 and RC-7 crossovers? I recently picked up a used pair and it seems that there is someone on the planet worse with a soldering iron than myself who appeared to have made some modifications. I have searched thru numerous pages and have had no luck. Thank you in advance for any help provided.

Thanks you guys. I did look in that thread prior to posting my question. I'm old and about half blind sometimes and could not find it. It appears the previous owner chose the correct values. Are Dayton capacitors and resistors decent quality? That is what he used.

No, he just changed out the stock to the Dayton brand. I have read that adding the 10 Ohm resistors is worthwhile and it seems fairly easy to do. One thing that I did notice while I was checking the internal wiring was that the magnet covers on the horns have been removed whereas the covers on the woofers are in place. Will this affect anything? The speakers are not near a TV. Thanks again for all the help. After a 25 year absence, it's good to have Klipsch speakers in the house once more.

The reduction in resistance results in a 1.5dB reduction in output at around 3.5kHz, just above the crossover region. The reduction in output reduces ringing from the cones. This was based on simple deduction -- the cones ring, after the mod they don't.

I wonder whatever happened to Leo. I can't work on a set of these without thinking about him. I gave him such a beating when he started modding his crossovers, I thought he was out of his mind. I remember when he went to the paper and oils - by that time I knew he wasn't crazy, I just thought he'd gone stupid. Now look at me. Thanks Leo, and I sure do miss you.

Yeah, he went by 'Leok'. He was/is an EE that knew how to listen. He was also the one who brought Tripath to everyone's attention -- he was building his own Tripath amps before there were even any commercial units available. He was also patient and kind. I have no idea how he put up with me.

• 9 years later...

Anyone care to revisit this old RC-7 thread? I have done the 2/10ohm mod by way of installing a 1.8 ohm mid range mundorf cap. Other than that, I just changed out the caps to clarity caps. For some reason, I am just not pleased with dialogue coming out of this speaker, and also, when I run speaker calibration, this speaker just sounds different than the same mod on my RF-7's. Those came out fantastic. Any thoughts, and to clarify, this speaker sounds less bright that my others. I can't seem to find any other issues. Thanks