Great stuff from Iain's (Seti) blog

Mallette

I go over every few months to see all the new stuff he's posted. Link is at the bottom of his posts. Saw this and one the brought back a memory, the other just sort of blew my mind. Never seen another like it.

post-7390-0-26400000-1391460803_thumb.jp

Magnecorder. Worked in a couple of stations that had these. Never saw but one model. The rewind and fast forward were direct drive from AC motors and the only "braking" was dynamic by reversing the motors...very carefully. Early on, I was rewinding at full speed. Not sure what happened, but for whatever stupid reason I attempted to brake one of the reels moving probably at 2k or more revs with my hand. Major mistake with a LOT of bleeding involved and 1200 feet of tape instantly exploding all over the floor in a heap.

I was a bit more careful after that...

The other thing is the Presto tape transport. I was looking at it trying to figure it out...then realized what it said. Apparently designed to be driven by a 16" transcription turntable! Absolutely fascinating and very creative engineering.

Dave

I go over every few months to see all the new stuff he's posted. Link is at the bottom of his posts. Saw this and one the brought back a memory, the other just sort of blew my mind. Never seen another like it.

attachicon.gifMaggie.jpg

Magnecorder. Worked in a couple of stations that had these. Never saw but one model. The rewind and fast forward were direct drive from AC motors and the only "braking" was dynamic by reversing the motors...very carefully. Early on, I was rewinding at full speed. Not sure what happened, but for whatever stupid reason I attempted to brake one of the reels moving probably at 2k or more revs with my hand. Major mistake with a LOT of bleeding involved and 1200 feet of tape instantly exploding all over the floor in a heap.

I was a bit more careful after that...

The other thing is the Presto tape transport. I was looking at it trying to figure it out...then realized what it said. Apparently designed to be driven by a 16" transcription turntable! Absolutely fascinating and very creative engineering.

Dave

Thanks. I wish I knew where I found that one. I know where there are some old McIntosh like that but the guy does not want to part with them....