From Yamaha RVX-465 to HK 3600

homeskizzle

I had the opportunity to pick up a used, but well taken care of HK 3600 off of Ebay for a good price. I had been lookin around at pre-amps or AVRs with pre-outs for a while. I never met the guy from Ebay, but his packing job was superb. My very first impression was the weight of it...30lbs compared to 18 of the Yammy. So far, I am loving the HK. My La Scalas have never sounded better. I know it's rated at 80X7 and my Yammy was 105X5, but the HK punches above its weight class. Maybe it's because I only have 5.1 instead of 7.1. Not sure, but the HK drives louder and with less distortion. Even at lower volumes, it still possesses the ability to make things clear and "unmuddy." I've watched a few of my favorite movies and loved the sonic clarity. The Avengers and Tron sounded fantastic. The highs were more crisp and detailed while the mid and low frequencies possessed more authority. My music library is all over the place as far as genres go, but the common factor among all genres was that vocals were much clearer and understandable. The HDMI switching is considerably slower than the Yammy, but that's not a big deal. I'm gonna use the internal amp on the HK for a few months to get to know the sound...then I'll throw in the Sherbourn 7X150 to see if I notice a difference. Overall, I am definitely happy about the upgrade and can recommend HK.

I am not familiar with that specific amp but I have a long history with Yamaha. Regardless of the specifications, I find that the power supply on Yamahas to be on the weak side, I solved this by using outboard power amps and the increase in quality to be amazing.

I suspect that some of the difference in sound you are hearing is possibly linked to the power supply, I know the speakers that are left on the Yamaha (center and rears ) sound much better than they do when the AVR runs everything.'