Help Me....Starting to waiver...

ChrisK

Since acquiring the vinyl habit, I've been going to some of the higher end audio "salons" in my area looking for various supplies (record cleaning fluid, rice paper sleeves, outer sleeves, strobe disc, etc.). Not to mention yesterday I was in the warehouse/offices of Classic Records picking up an order. Every place I've been to, the conversation inevitably turns to "What's your rig?". When I get to the Cornwall part, there is always a kind of surprised, "what?" look on the faces. At a few of the places I've even taken the time to listen to a some setups. I have to admit, some of the stuff I've listened to sounds very sweet. Quiet, yet loud, big soundstage, lots of depth, etc. Most of this stuff is fairly high dollar equipment. B&W, Avalon, Vandersteen, Dunlavy, Meadowlark speakers powered by ARC, Krell, Levinson, etc. Most of them hooked up with fairly exotic and I'm sure expensive cabling. Anyway, just about everyone tells me "Klipsch are great, but..." followed by a statement that usually includes "too forward", "too bright", "hurts my ears", "PA like" or something along those lines. Don't get me wrong, I still love my Cornwalls. But...are there other ways to skin this audio cat? Some of the rigs I've heard are much more delicate than mine and somewhat more effortless to listen to.

What would I miss if I defected to the dark side? Am I just falling for audio "salon" BS? Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Chris

PS Don't beat me up, I'm not trying to stir the pot. Just curious.

------------------

click below to see my rig

http://cgi.AudioAsylum.com/systems/2235.html

If there were ever a more "in your face" speaker than the Klipsch Cornwall I have yet to hear it. That's what I LOVE about them!! They are ALIVE and trasmit energy and FEELING like no other speaker I have ever lived with. The only other speakers that come close for me are Tannoy dual-concentrics, which I find even BETTER at blasting rock or electric blues. But for jazz and classical, the Cornwall is the best I've owned.

Are there speakers out there that I'd like better? Maybe. Do I care to spend the time and money trying to find them? No.

A friend of mine has a rig that must have set him back $50,000. Big Krell amps. Huge, ugly-*** Von Schweikert VR-7 speakers that look like robots, a Linn CD player that probably cost as much as a nice Toyota.

It's an amazing sounding system, but I HATE it because it's COLD and austere. I call it the "Third Reich Hi-Fi" and it drives him nuts! He's all about listening to SOUNDS, not MUSIC.

I know his system is of "higher fidelity" than mine, but mine reproduces music!

By the way, my office is about 4 blocks from Classic Records. They do a pretty nice job. The new "mono deep-groove" Blue Notes are outstanding--the best reissues I've ever heard.

Go listen to some records and chill.

cjk1026 AKA Chris

I could say the obvious...Let YOUR ears decide.

Or fill this page with endless intellectually constipated streams of data and reviews.. Most of it BS IMO. (Paul Klipsch was famous for the "Bullshit" buttons he handed out.)

I also own the Cornwalls, as well as a pair of Heresy's and Klipsch Horns too. I love them all in different ways and applications.

You get to a point in Audio of every piece of equipment in the chain of diminishing returns.. Does a 50k audio system sound as good as a 300k dollar one? Hard to say. It should ... at least on paper. Then again 15k might have done it better with different components. The end result as your already alluding to, is you really love the music your buying and listening to it over what you already have. Just leave it at that. You can say to the nay sayers.."You wouldn't believe me if I told you. But your welcome to come over and experience it if you like.." (hehehehe) to those people you like. Might even convert a few to Klipsch this way also.

The key is relax..ENJOY what you have, and yes you have the last smile..the last laugh..and the best system for you if it makes your inner body cry out OMG this sounds soooo goood. End of story!!

B&W, Avalon, Vandersteen, Dunlavy, Meadowlark speakers powered by ARC, Krell, Levinson,

Bark, Barf, Barf, Barf, OK, Barf, Barf, Barf.

Been there done that. The Klipsch make music and that's what it's all about.

------------------

Transport: CEC TL-2X

DAC: Audiomat Maestro

Pre-amp: Wyetech Jade

Amps: Wyetech Onyx monoblock,

Jeff Korneff 45

Interconects: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Speaker cable: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Power cords: CPCC Top Gun and Model 11

Line conditioner: CPCC Super Power Block

Equip Stand: Grand Prix Audio Monaco

Belle Klipsch, K-horns to arrive 7/28

I'm with Allen here. He hit this one square on the nail's head -- drove it all the way into the board.

I spent the better part of a decade with Magnepans and was ready to go with a new set of Vandersteens when I ran across the diminutive RB5.

Sure, you can enjoy all of these different 'sounds', but after a while they all start sounding very much the same.

However, I don't think there is anything wrong with straying off the path and having something different to listen too. It's all ear candy, and there is nothing strange to find that something else tastes good too. Klipsch is not the end all to great sound -- but it's damn close.

I myself am toying again with the idea of building up a second system, after twice deciding not to do it -- and it will probably not be a system with Klipsch speakers in it.

f>

------------------

Deanf>s>

Klipsch RF7s - AE-25 DJH - AE-3 DJH - Sony 9000ES

f>s>