Small metal "L" brackets for bracing

jimjimbo

Hi all, I'm looking at these as an easy and (hopefully) effective way of tightening up my CW II cabs. Perhaps 4 of each of these along each surface, tying sides to back to top to bottom....(of course not using bolts and nuts, but you get the idea) Any thoughts yea or nay? This way (maybe) I can avoid measuring and cutting, gluing and screwing, etc, etc. Thanks.

post-12530-0-18740000-1396876317_thumb.j

Any thoughts yea or nay? This way (maybe) I can avoid measuring and cutting, gluing and screwing, etc, etc. Thanks.

Only way to do it right is to make the cabinet thicker (not any easier) or get your saw and glue out. These l-brackets only hold the corners which already are blocked and glued. You need to keep the large panels from flexing and these 1 inch l-brackets won't do.

What do you mean by tighten up ??

1) are your panels loose, ie...gaps at the joints, feel movement ??

2) or are you trying to tame cabinet resonance ??

If you are referring to 1 above I would get a quality glue like Gorilla hit the joints on inside the cabinet and clamp and allow to dry

If you are looking to tame resonance then peter is correct a 1" or even larger L brackets will not help much if at all, I helped a cabinet with resonance in the past by adding panels cut to the same size glued and screwed in place on sides, top and backs on the outside of the cabinet.

Joe

Guest David H

What do you mean by tighten up ??

1) are your panels loose, ie...gaps at the joints, feel movement ??

2) or are you trying to tame cabinet resonance ??

If you are referring to 1 above I would get a quality glue like Gorilla hit the joints on inside the cabinet and clamp and allow to dry

If you are looking to tame resonance then peter is correct a 1" or even larger L brackets will not help much if at all, I helped a cabinet with resonance in the past by adding panels cut to the same size glued and screwed in place on sides, top and backs on the outside of the cabinet.

Joe

Good call Joe.

If it is resonance, just add some bracing, use PL Premium glue and some clamps. Should fix it right up.

Dave