Another KLF 20 brace job, Plus refinish....

Thanks a bunch! These speakers are definatly worth the effort to make them your lifetime speakers. Sometimes I wish I had the 30's though....lol.

Excellent looking rebuild Klipschtastic, I've only got about 1/2 hour of listening time on the 30's I picked up yesterday but I am impressed on their performance, and my baffles are taped on at this point. Need a complete rebuild. Keep up the good work. :)

• Like 1

Sliced up some 3/4 by 3/4 oak strips at work tonight. Gonna do what you did but not gonna add any additional bracing as I don't want to change the cabinet tuning any more than I have to. I'm gluing and screwing the strips on, then gluing and screwing the baffles.and backs on. I'm going with 100% silicone for my glue. that should seal better plus take care of any rattles too although I hope they'll be on right enough where there won't be any rattles. :) Kinda contemplating the titanium phragms that Moray was talking about but.... IDK. Sometimes you can be mislead in forums as to how good things will be if you try them..., but on the other hand then I'm putting my trust in the companys designers...the same company who just happened to build speakers that the baffles fall off of..... 6 of one or a half dozen of the other scenarios. :)

Edited by cradeldorf

I'm putting my trust in the companys designers...the same company who just happened to build speakers that the baffles fall off of..

that's not really fair to say. Klipsch did a fine job the problem was a defective batch of hot melt adhesive which Klipsch had designed specifically to do the job. The problem was with the adhesive manufacturer. Klipsch dealt with the problem cabinets as best could be expected replacing many and they had to chase the adhesive maker in court to get a decision in their favor. The KLF which were built with the good adhesive are all still fine to this day. The real problem that started the whole thing was thinking that they could use adhesive to bond to melamine in a situation where the joint is really required to be structural. To this day I am not aware of any adhesive which is specified as a structural adhesive for use on melamine.

Oak is not a very good choice for strapping material around the baffle especially if you want to glue and screw. Fir would be a much better choice since you would not need to pre tap the screw holes into the fir strapping you would only need to pre drill out the baffle. Oak will crack if you attempt to install screws with out tapping holes for the screws. Sanding off the melamine laminate is fast and easy with a 3/4" Dremel sanding drum, then you can use good old cheap and strong white wood glue. The joints will then be stronger than the wood itself. Good luck with your re build. Best regards Moray James.

Thanks Moray, I drilled the oak to the screw shank dia. so just the threads were grabbing, Oak is almost like aluminum when it comes to strength. the screws don't strip out like soft pine. And I agree about the company not really being at fault. :) I didn't remove the melamine as the gluing surface was practically quadrupled. the silicone woked very nice. There are 16 screws in the front baffle and 12 in the back panel.

post-57173-0-19780000-1397916142_thumb.j

post-57173-0-67660000-1397916964_thumb.j

Edited by cradeldorf