Heresy 1 not firing at low volume

Hello all,

I have had a pair of Heresy 1's for almost 20 years and lately one of them has started to fail: it will not emit any sound until i turn the volume WAY up, then it will give a loud POP and start working properly - even at low volumes. It will then keep working until i shut off the system or if there is a prolonged period of silence out of that channel (in a movie for example).

Any suggestions as to where to start looking? I'm guessing the cross-over, but am not sure how to test it???

Thanks,

John

First thing you ought to do, if you haven't already, is make sure that it's the speaker which is causing the problem, and not something else.

Have you tried switching the Heresy - move the left speaker to the right channel, and the right speaker to the left channel, *WITHOUT MOVING ANYTHING ELSE* (speaker cables, etc.) to see if the problem follows the speaker, or stays where it was and affects the other speaker?

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I had a Carver Receiver with that kind of problem and it was traced to the speaker-on relays which just wore out.

Or it could be some connection that is just barley hangin' on causing a high impeadence load till X number of voltz is push through it. i.e.- a stand of speker cable with only a couple of strands actually making contact.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 07-16-2002 at 03:58 PM

This sounds like a mechanical connection problem.

A speaker protection relay could be the problem as stated. Maybe the headphone jack is connected to the speaker output and you could check this by seeing if headphones show the same.

I'd check the speaker wire connections too. Make sure everything is clean and snug.

Switching speakers would help too. It could be that there is a problem between the input jack to the speaker and the cross over. If the problem follows the speaker you could open them up and check things inside.

Gil

Doesn't sound like a speaker problem to me...unless it is in the crossover network...but, still...it sounds more like an amplifier problem. Switch the left and right speaker connections on the amp and see what happens...if it still happens, but to opposite speaker, it is amp...then switch speakers to "speaker b" connections...if problem persists...it is the amplifier "pot" most likely!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

• 2 weeks later...

Just for the hell of it...have you been using the same amp all of these years too? If so, when was the last time you had the controls cleaned on it(or its pre-amp or if it is a receiver, then its controls?)? Sometimes all it takes is a good control cleaning on equipment to make these types of problems just "disappear"!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 07-30-2002 at 08:37 AM