Marantz 2226b restored

holtrp

It happens because it's part of the forum. There wasn't always a "section", people used to list things for sale all over the place. Naturally, we would all critique the item, help with establishing true vale, as well as offering any assistance if requested, which would happen quite a bit. We would also run people out on a rail if they weren't established members or would post some obscene price clearly designed to take advantage. This isn't eBay, AudiogoN, or Craigslist. No one has to post here, and it seems hard to believe that those who do, wouldn't have an expectation of some scrutiny by the community - and like I said, it's still and open forum. Everyone agrees it's a great deal, what's the the big deal with some bantering?

• Like 2

No worries. I have some rare free time tonight. I might pull the 2226b apart and check out the antenna. Actually, I am even a little hesitant to try and sell stuff on here. I would feel awful if I missed something or for any reason anyone wasn't happy with what they bought.

As far as Robert Bowdish and irebuildmarantz is concerned, I believe he got into some serious trouble with medical bankruptcy with either himself or his wife. He got way behind, started charging extra to make up some revenue, after he had burned through deposits on hand and wasn't keeping pace that lead to everyone on AK hating him. The new guy Randy, that bought the whole operation from Robert is still digging out and trying to get the business back on track:

"The $100-cut-ahead-of-people-that-paid-deposits-more-than-4-years-ago did more to piss people off than any other single thing Robert did, and I ended that the day I took ownership. It was the turning point when he went from doing bad business practices to outright fraud and deception. And I no longer take deposits, and I've refunded over $10lk in deposits he took and spent to live on. And I've shipped back over a dozen units (at my expense) that he had people ship so he could get more deposit money with no realistic expectation of getting the work done soon."

Obviously, I don't agree with how Robert handled his business, but I can say that I understand. When it comes to bankruptcy, medical bills and stuff like that, I can empathize with that kind of pressure and see how someone could start making some poor decisions. In any case, I had my unit fully turned around in about 90 days. I don't know why it worked out like it did, but I was (am still) happy with his work. The new owner seems top notch after talking to him for a bit. I bet irebuildmarantz will be around for a long time.

I also really appreciate guys like Dean, Bob and other in vintage, niche market restoration / modifications. They allow me to enjoy this hobby without having to take the time to learn basic electrical engineering and soldering. The local Mcintosh tech here in Alaska? He wants $95 per hour to work on Marantz receivers, and that is just getting them back to spec, no LED upgrades, no preventative cap change outs, no guarantees, no nothing. The guy that just did my 2270 spent probably 40 hours total and only charged me $300 parts and labor. And all that in a market where Randy at irebuildmarantz and Tom on AK both have 48 month backlogs AND turn away 2-3 customers per day for new orders. It is a bargain at twice the price if you ask me. In my opinion, these guys could probably triple their prices and still have jobs lined up and down the runway.

• 4 weeks later...