La Scala x-over upgrades w/ tweeter protection?

I'd love to get the ALK crossovers, but I'm 23, live alone and have a big house with no close neighbors. I need the tweeter protection circuits methinks. So... I have the AL network in there right now. Should I look for AL-3s? Or AAs?

------------------

Gabe

'83 La Scala birch raw

'93 Chorus II black

'94 Forte II oak oil

'93 kg3.2 oak oil

KSW-15

Ksw-200

SW-8

Hi Gabe,

I'm 24, I also live in a big house with no neighbours, I also like to listen to LOUD music (tough not quite all the time) and i'm currently building a set of ALK x-overs.

In fact I don't think we 'd need any tweeter protection; don't forget those are high sensitivity speakers; I don't know how much power you plan to put in your scalas but I think your ears would bleed before your tweeters do; except, EXCEPT if you're actually pushing your amp into distortion...

same is true for all high-end speakers i assume.

For my part, I'm driving my scalas with a 2 x 45W Musical Fidelity Typhoon power amp, driven by a Rotel RC980BX active preamp, and I could barely sustain the output level when preamp setting reaches further than 11 o'clock. I believe the amp doesn't give a lot of power at this setting, and it's still very, very loud... so a tweeter protection? well, for PA use in a 300 seats room maybe...

but I may be wrong... maybe i'll burn my tweeters with my alk's... Al, any comments? cwm3.gif

Frans