Klipsch and classical music

BBB

Maybe it's just me. I listen to all types of music from Arias to Zepplin but since I have had 4 RF-7's in the house I have found myself listening to more classical music. I'm a big time rock and roller however I think some of the old masters sound better than ever through my Klipsch speakers. Perhaps it's the horns. I beleive I am probably older than most posters on this forum and have listened to music almost every day since I was born and these speakers sound better to me than many I have owned in the past

especially while playing Beethoven ,Mozart or

Rachmaninoff. Or it's the old age factor setting in. cwm25.gif

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

Fully agree that classical sounds great on Klipsch but I am not sure you can blame that on your change in listening habits.

10 years ago I almost never listened to classical - now it makes up the majority of my listening.

Yup! We's a gettin older and aint that a fact!

Changin' music

Lowerin' volume

Thinin' hair

Spreadin' waist

Lookin' tired

Feelin' achy

Gettin' nostalgic (and even that aint what is was!!)

Them darn kids!!

------------------

My System: http://aca.gr/pop_maxg.htm

Hmmm, you were 7 yrs old in 1956...Nope you don't qualify for geriatric status (yet)cwm38.gif. I think your shift in music listening goes along with my "shark theory" - you gotta keep moving, or you die. Just how many times can anyone stand to hear Stairway to Heaven, anyway. (That oughta get me in trouble here). Rachmaninoff er I mean Rachmanin-on!cwm29.gif

This message has been edited by cluless on 07-18-2002 at 08:33 AM

My theory is that most folks hear classical music in the worst settings - FM radio or poor stereo equipment. A significant percentage of clasical music recordings are poorly recorded and mixed. Therefore, classical music is viewed as high hat and snobbish.

Classical orchestration is, by nature, generally complex in the number of different sounds and is as radically dynamic as any rock and roll (in my reality rock and roll is the only thing that comes close to the dynamic sounds of good classical orchestration). That means that if you have a setup that you like for rock and roll, you will most likely like classical music in the same setup. Just like rock and roll, a good live classical performance may well win you over - it most definitely gives you an appreciation for the complexity and wide range of sounds that make the final product.

The point of this ramble - most of us hornies will say that we like our horns because of the very 'real' sound that we think aproximates a live performance. This is also very true with classical music and you will find many Klipschorns in classical music buffs listening rooms (I refer to this as being able to distinctly hear the triangle in the midst of twelve other sounds).

Classical music is the root of rock and roll. You are not simply getting older, just wiser.....cwm20.gif

------------------

Hwatkins

HWatkins:

Over the past several years,I've found myself listening to classical music more frequently and now it comprises about 95% of my listening. You're right about classical music recordings. Most are poorly recorded. In trying to build a collection,I ended up subscribing to Gramophone magazine (Brit classical music mag). They have informative articles and over 100 reviews per issue. The writers have some decent credentials and are not afraid to trash a poor recording/performance.

Classical music is demanding on a playback system. The wide frequency and dynamic range plus the complexity of the timbral qualities of the various instruments demand a good rig for playback. Heck, someone who wouldn't listen to a recorded version of Bartok's String Quartets can easily stand and listen to a live performance. Another challenge facing the average Joe when trying to "get" classical music is an acquired short attention-span. More on that some other time.

Good listening,

------------------

Transport: CEC TL-2X

DAC: Audiomat Maestro

Pre-amp: Wyetech Jade

Amps: Jeff Korneff 45

Interconects: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Speaker cable: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Power cords: CPCC Top Gun and Model 11

Line conditioner: CPCC Super Power Block

Equip Stand: Grand Prix Audio Monaco

Belle Klipsch, K-horns to arrive 7/21

This message has been edited by Mike82 on 07-18-2002 at 01:04 PM

jesu: joy of man's desiring (bach). & speaking of man's desiring i prefer the stepped up version by apollo something from the 60s. also as heard on the "boogie nights" soundtrack & sounds like its in that newer robin williams flick.

yea quite a bit of classical disks here. need to find a good one w/ that hill organ in the sidney town hall. 64' pipe = very low bass.

cwm35.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

To my ear, classical symphonic works rely on being able to hear each instrument. Also, there is bass and treble in there which only is apparent on a good system.

Naturally, a Klipsch system is a good one.

I don't quite know how to express it: long classical pieces have a complexity which takes many hearings to appreciate. Some have a "hook" but not all.

On the other hand, good pop presents some of its virtue even on a cheapo system. E.g. early Beatle music sounded good on 3 transistor Japanese radio with a half dead Ray-o-vac carbon zinc 9 volt battery.

I can't say that Lennon and McCartney were writing for that type of reproduction. Certainly Beethoven was writing for live orchestral production. It takes Klipsch to reproduce an orchestra.

Let me suggest "Symphonic Star Trek" on Telarc to anyone who is not into classics, yet. Or for a demo disk. Everyone has heard Star Trek music through the small TV speakers; so it is familiar. On a big system, the music is very impressive.

Gil

When one considers that PWK designed his k-horn for listening to his beloved classical symphony orchestra music...one may begin to realize just why classical sounds so good on the k-horn and his other designs. Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

BBB-

Off topic post- moi? jamais? I know that you ended up "foot loose and fancy free on your RC-7"

But you might be interested to know...that when I was breaking down the klipsch boxes, I found this little package that contained little feetzies for my RC-7, 6 little rubber stick on feet, plus 2, 3-inch rubber headed screws to raise the speaker derriere so the speaker fires down, and Voila, the speaker has the appropriate receiving end for those screws. Havent tried them yet. My TV is low enough/I am tall enough that the modification is low priority.

Feetzies don't fail me now.

I don't remember seeing the feet for my RC-7. Maybe they are in the box. I never looked for them because I never intended to use them.That's funny I didn't see them. I also didn't see the spikes for my RF-7's.Everything was in sealed boxes.The dealer had them only a few days and did not open all the ones he had delivered. All serial numbers on the boxes and speakers matched and had delivery stickers from Arkansas. Who knows. I don't throw anything out.I'm a pack rat. I'll use all the Klipsch boxes when I move. Right now they are in the spare bedroom and the belfry with the bats. Maybe I'll go up there the next time I hear Quasimodo yell for water.I'm sure I didn't get the feet or spikes now that I think about it. Hmmmmmmmm. The serial numbers for almost all my speakers are consecutive.I made sure of that at the shop where they were delivered. Weird.cwm5.gif

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

Look under the funny foam.

Tell Quasimodo hello, and where do you keep your hitch hiker stashed? When are you moving from Scrapple? or was that Snapple? And you do know that there are laws about transporting Kracken over state lines?

Coffe calls.

Well Clu, I'll probably have to leave scrapple pretty soon. I'm broke and live by myself in a house with 2 acres. I'll sell the house and MAYBE some equipment. I'm having a couple of truck loads of my pro stuff brought to the house from another location tomorrow. Speaking of crossing state lines, I was in Jersey last week playing withold friends. I don't talk about my musical career on the net. I would come off as a B.S. artist and I have nothing to prove . I can say I've seen and played with alot of popular people who are dead ! LOL I'll most likely be jamming with them again soon enough.Such is life Biggrin.gif Later.The old guy.

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

As a piano enthusiast and Klipsch owner, phishken, you owe it to yourself to enjoy "piano GRAND!" a 5.1/PCM DVD with nearly two hours of the Smithsonian's celebration of the 300th anniversary of the invention of the piano... a tour de force by famous pianists of every stripe augmented by the Smithsonian Chamber Orchestra. Even the Piano Manufacturers Association International had a hand in making this PBS 88-key special an eclectic earful.

Gill and builder are on the right track. Paul W. Klipsch designed the Klipschorn to reproduce all of the most important frequencies one can hear in a live performance of a classical orchestra. And the balance of the Heritage line that he designed were variations of that classical music goal.

Thus, it is the Rock & Roll that benefits from PWK's classical orientation... and not the reverse. The transient mystery designers of the KLF series held on to that premise to create the in-your-face KLF-30's that keep it "live"... but a little less smooth and accurate than the audiophile preferred, although somewhat downsized Reference line.

IMHO, a speaker system designed to get the most "live" recreation of a classical orchestra inherently has what it takes for nearly all music... and with the addition of an "adequate" subwoofer and center channel plus a "meaningful" rear array... a home theater that goes beyond the mixed sound bag found in most commercial theaters.

Come to think of it, most of the Heritage line trace their beginnings to PWK's attempts to create a center channel worthy of the might K-Horn corners... and to that end, PWK kept a Belle in the middle up to the day he died. And, yes, it still works for me too! -HornED

Pic5.jpg

PS: BBB take a clue from clu and lighten up on that "Woe is me... old age done turned my earpans classical" line. To truly enjoy the best of classical music recordings, one must be either musically naive (e.g., uncorrupted by transient popular forms) or so musically inundated that the complex simplicity of a well turned classic commands your admiration. That is the function of the journey... rather than the length of time it took to get there.

Having enjoyed many transient popular forms and being over a decade older than you... all I can say is "Damn the torpor, full ears ahead!" -H.E.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-24-2002 at 11:32 AM

BuBBa,

Nothing wrong with living alone on 2 acres, but 4 acres are even better, LOL. Neighbors, We don't need no stinkin neighbors.

I would strongly advise against playing with dead guys thoughhmm, don't they have a name for that, narcolepsy, no, ..err podiaphelia, no, umm necrophagia, no YUCK!Nevermind.

Well, Bach to work.cwm29.gif

Gil said:

Let me suggest "Symphonic Star Trek" on Telarc to anyone who is not into classics, yet. Or for a demo disk. Everyone has heard Star Trek music through the small TV speakers; so it is familiar. On a big system, the music is very impressive.

This thread has gotten me intriqued in listening to Classical again. It has been awhile since I really listed to much classical, at least since when I studied the stuff while in college.

I was curious as to what people's suggestions on some good disks I could look for to try out on my RF-7s.

About that Star Trek music, tell me about it! I have the first three complete seasons of Star Trek : The Next Generation on DVD. The first time I heard that opening introduction on my '7s just blew me away! It was indeed quite impressive.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)