Tube Failure - "run away tube protection."

eth2

In all my 40+ years around tubes, this term your using, "Runaway" must be the new 21st century catch phrase for what we used to call an internaly shorted tube.

back in the day, iv only seen two, and quality control in the 60s was not good, these days new metals and processes have all but eliminated the "Shorted tube".

Save your money, if this should by chance happen again, well then buddy, id be pointin a finger at their design.

Id do it... considerings the cost... Many new high tech tube amps offer this... Mcintosh, Prema luna, etc... Given the difficulties with the amp, Id ask that they do it for much less... say 250?

All that said... you should not need it. There are old school ways of doing similar stuff... but this is your horse to ride... make it the best you can.

Edited by justinsweber

I have had only one tube go belly up on me and it was when I had left the amp on and went outside for a little while, hey, it should be OK right? LOL!

It was an old, 6550 made by Tung Sol, a real old timer. I returned to an amp that had only one channel working.

I shut it down, tossed in a quad of Sovtek 6550s and fired it up. All was well after a rebias for the new set of tubes. I ran it that way for oh, about 20 hours and never had a problem. I then bought a matched quad of the Russian manufacture of the original Tung Sol design for the 6550 and it has been sweet since.

I wish I was there to watch the old tube go south and to shut things down, perhaps I got lucky IDK, but it turned out OK for me, ....... that time!

I am not sure I would spend that much for the circuit, perhaps they could toss in a few fuses like Mark said, that should be a lot less money with protection too. Good luck!