Klipsch Cornwall II (1986): should I re-cap the crossovers ?

I bought these new in December 1986 and use them daily. To me, they still sound like when I first un-boxed them. Should I re-cap the crossover networks ? I have been in consumer electronics repair since the early 60's and know first hand that electrolytic caps sometimes have a short life-span, especially in certain circuits. I have no experience re-capping a crossover network but I still occasionally re-cap computer motherboards. I searched the web and see some places selling "magical" crossover kits that promise the sun & moon for enormous prices. I'm old school and if the current parts are still good, I'm leaving them alone. Then again, if they are off value or domed (overheated), I'll install new caps of the same exact value - maybe upgrading the working voltage a tad.

post-58514-0-38900000-1402006758_thumb.j

welcome to the forum... I am surprised you've never been here before having owned those for so long.

I bought these new in December 1986 and use them daily. To me, they still sound like when I first un-boxed them. Should I re-cap the crossover networks ?

yes... the stuff being done today is really really good. that being said, I am sure you can go on and on listening to your CW's the way they are.

Edited by Schu

The CII network looks like it was built by playschool. It is shoddily pieced together and hot glued on a board stuck to the back of the cabinet. It will be a bit more difficult to replace the caps and coils. There is no internal dampening inside the cabinet either. I would get some acoustic foam panels and spray glue from Parts Express and attach them to the three non opposing sides of the cabinet while you are working on the network. Pull the woofer to get access.

Edited by Frzninvt
  • Like 1