How will the K-42E perform in a sealed Heresy cabinet?

Frzninvt

Thinking about picking up a pair of K-42E's for my front effect Heresy's. Seeing as the K-42 is typically used in the HIP ported cabinets how will they perform in a sealed Heresy cabinet? Bad, good, indifferent?

Right now my front effect Heresy's are the 1.5 (1984) models that have the K-52K midrange and K-22 woofers, actually I think one has a K-24. They are mismatched as that is how I purchased them.

I realize the bass response will be less but what other things would be impacted? I don't think the change will require any modification to the stock network as far as I know.

I actually found a 3 db adjustment to sound better in my "Super Heresy's" which are ported. The port puts out bass in the rear with a 30-150 hz. band. When you leave the box closed, you don't get that but the midrange should be similar. I essentially ended up turning a Klipsch E network into a B, which is from a Cornwall 1.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/150280-heretical-heresy-1-mod-baby-cornwalls/

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Guess I'll leave the K-22's in them I did not want to have to fiddle with network mods and shifting the taps on the autoformer. THanks for the info. Love your Super Heresy's Claude, very nice!

Thanks, I just built/converted another pair with the Crites Tweeter and one more single with the Fastrac HF/B&C DE-10 driver for center channel and an Eminence Delta Pro 12A I got in a trade deal, which is the closest thing to a Klipsch K-42.

Audyssey's Auto correction picked a 70 Hz. Crossover point on the sealed/stuffed Heresy (un-ported Super Heresy) with a Klipsch K-42 woofer. So the real benefit, if you don't port it, and look at my curves, is all in the 120-20Khz. range bing much more detailed. But if you are a Heresy owner, you should be using a subwoofer anyhow, so that is moot. It will still be an overall improvement over stock and the reason I prefer the older versions with the K55V. And yes, you still need to convert the E crossover to a Cornwall B, even if you keep the K77 in there, which is just fine.

The main benefit of the K-42 in a Heresy is the higher BL product of the huge magnet and cast frame is in tipping up the response in the midrange. This cannot be overstated. "The midrange is where we live, and we, at Klipsch and Associates have spent way more time in R&D there than on the bass" PWK.

Yes you do have to mess with the network to voice it right. All 5 of my modded Heresy's sound great, but a little different from each other since the crossover was "tweaked for each tweet" LOL.

BTW, y'all should know how difficult it is to find a tweeter that works/sounds better than the venerable K-77. the only benefit is the extension from about 15 Khz. to 20 Khz., which I can hardly hear anyhow, but I'm sure people under 20 years old can.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

The factory network for that woofer uses the same taps as the AA, but I lowered mine to the type B tap settings (as you did) and used a 6.8µF cap with a 15Ω swamping resistor.

I talked to Bob Crites when he had one in his shop for measurement and crossover refresh. He kept saying how LOUD they were, with basically the same mid and tweeter drivers as a Khorn or LaScala, so yes that HIP had NO stuffing inside to keep it as loud as possible for PA, which really isn't good for home use. I had heard a HIP a long time ago and remembered I didn't like the sound at all.

I modified an E network to what I thought sounded and measured best. Only later did I discover I had created a Cornwall "B" network. So we, essentially did the same thing from two different directions, mainly AA to B and E to B respectively. My "super heresy" has the port in the rear, at roughly the same spec. as a HIP port, but since having it fire into a corner of a smaller room, I get quite a boost in the 30-150 Hz. range.

I did the same thing with my non-ported Heresy with the Eminence equiv. of a K-42 and a new tweeter. As a Center channel for HT, it sound really good without a port, but got an extra one in case I want to port it later. As a voice channel for movies, it's really good as is for now.

Edited by ClaudeJ1