Scott Joplin played by Scott Joplin

Mallette

I've been digging deep into Scott Joplin lately and thought some might be interested in this. I have 21 mp3s...and really quite good ones as mp3s go...of Joplin piano rolls that are attributed directly to him. They are in line from 1899 until 1917, which was the year he died. Makes for a good way to see how he developed as the "King of Ragtime." I still have quite a bit of work to do on the site, but it's pretty much good to go at least for listening. You can access these if you wish at http://www.texarkanafoxtrot.com/index.htm. The "Scott Joplin" button on the right will take you to the Joplin pages and the piano roll recordings are on the last page. I don't have them downloadable yet, but will do so eventually, but you can listen to them streaming.

I still think Joplin has a ways to grow. I am more amazed at his abilities the more I study him.

That site, in general, is one I started to house historic images of my home town of Texarkana. It's only a month old and already 3gb. What a stupid idea...

Dave

I've been digging deep into Scott Joplin lately and thought some might be interested in this. I have 21 mp3s...and really quite good ones as mp3s go...of Joplin piano rolls that are attributed directly to him. They are in line from 1899 until 1917, which was the year he died. Makes for a good way to see how he developed as the "King of Ragtime." I still have quite a bit of work to do on the site, but it's pretty much good to go at least for listening. You can access these if you wish at http://www.texarkanafoxtrot.com/index.htm. The "Scott Joplin" button on the right will take you to the Joplin pages and the piano roll recordings are on the last page. I don't have them downloadable yet, but will do so eventually, but you can listen to them streaming.

I still think Joplin has a ways to grow. I am more amazed at his abilities the more I study him.

That site, in general, is one I started to house historic images of my home town of Texarkana. It's only a month old and already 3gb. What a stupid idea...

Dave

:emotion-21::emotion-21: :emotion-21: :emotion-21::emotion-21:

Finding some extraordinary stuff about Joplin. As I state on the site, I see the evidence for Texarkana being the birthplace of Ragtime compelling. Sedalia can be satisfied with being the cradle. Ragtime is unique in American music as being the only popular genre I have been able to document as having clear rules...established by Scott Joplin. They were responsible both for its success, as well as its demise.

Whatever rules he employed aside, Ragtime had a huge influence on almost all "American" music. Even though I'm hardly a music historian I can see it all over New Orleans style jazz and especially the 40's and 50's versions of Chicago Jazz (ie check out Kellys Blues etc.)

Great legwork Dave. Wonderful website and history you are assembling.