Best sub for this system........?

myram

Here is my home theater equipment list.....

Klipsch Quartets

Klipsch KV 3

Klipsch KG .5's

Denon AVR-1601

and currently a Cambridge Soundworks Basscube 10.

My question is if I sell the Cambridge sub, what would be the best replacement to get for this system?

Any ideas or experiences would be helpful.

Thanks,

Steve

Myram,

I have a similar set-up. Those quartets should do a great job with bass, but I know that that 1601 lacks a bit in this department. My KSW-12 is OK, but I wouldn't recommend it, unless you are on a tight budget, as they can be had for ~300 on the net.

I would consider those SVS subs, as they sound like quite the bang for your buck. My brother has a paradigm, that really kicks ***, too.

Good luck,

Troy

I have heard that Definitive subs are good, Paradigm are good, but I would really like to stick to an all Klipsch set up.....so would a KSW-10 or 12 be good? Is there any other Klipsch subs from past or present that would be good?

Hi Steve...

I have been using an old Klipsch SW12II sub with ChorusII's for a long time now. This sub and the Chorus's sound VERY GOOD together, (they both use passive radiators) This sub does not automatically power on with a signal like the newer ones, so I have had it plugged into a switched outlet on the back of the receiver and it works fine. This sub would be GREAT with those Quartets if you can find a GOOD used one. You'd LIKE it alot! biggrin.gif

Take care

Mike

I just recently replaced my SW12II, (teamed with Chorus II's),with a dual 16-46 SVS package. These subs are incredible. I would suggest the smaller SVS passive system, I think they are 21-39's. If you have an old reciever, you can use this to power the sub, or buy a CHEAP receiver from BB. The subs are priced well below there performance level.

Sure Tom, here goes:

Mains - Chorus II's

Center - Academy

Surrounds - SS1's (weak link ?!?)

Subs - Dual SVS 16-46 w/Samson 700

Receiver - Onkyo DTR7

DVD - Panasonic A310

LD - Pioner M301

TV - Mitsubishi 70"-Not Digital frown.gif

Satellite - Dish Network

HT Room (Family Room As Well !) 14,000 cu ft

I've had the subs for about a week now. They are replacing an SW12II. The SW12 is a great sub but simply can't be compared the SVS's, and really shouldn't be. I really can't explain the type of bass the the SVS's produce other than to say they are the lowest , loudest and truest subs I have ever heard, (not that i have heard every sub !) I've read all the posts on the SVS subs (that's why I took the chance), and some are quite accurate others are a bit much ("imploding heads"). Initially I calabrated the subs and tossed in the usual test dvd's and got SPL readings in the 107db range, but the actual bass was very disappointing. A little sub reconfiguration and oh my, there's the bass ! I had them positioned one in front of the other and got alot of cancellation, side by side and WOW ! I plan on doing some more tweeking with placement this weekend to get some more accurate readings. I would be happy to post these findings if any one is interested. BTW I did get the chance to compare a single 16-46 against a KSW15 (brother-in-law just bought one), again - no comparison, SVS was much lower, flatter and louder.