Problems after hooking up kf-28's

Fill in the Blank

I got a pair of kf-28's the other day and finally got my living room rearranged to use them. The first time I turned them up, however, my receiver started acting up. The avr just turns off as soon as I get into higher volumes. It wasn't doing this with the cheap speakers I had on it before, so I'm wondering if the speakers are causing it to go into protection.

It's this common? Is there something I have to do to get a pretty standard avr to properly work with these? Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can provide.

Thanks for the kind welcome! :)

The receiver they are hooked up to is a Denon avr-1501. I understand this isn't the best reciver in the world, but it's what I have, and the salesman assured me that hooking it up shouldn't cause any issues. I got a smoking deal on the speakers now that they are clearanced, but I've reached my budget and can't afford an upgrade at the moment.

Thanks again for any help.

Welcome

Is the problem on all sources (CD,DVD,Etc) or just one ?

You might have a bad cable, or this happened on my Denon and I don't remember exactly what it was but I had one source (lets say DVD Player ? ) That would shut down at high levels on one input ( lets say DVD ) I switched it to another input (lets say CD) and all was good ! It was strange I could put another source on that input and it was fine. Worth a try at least :mellow:

Thanks for all the replies. When you guys say I should check the wires, what should I be looking for? I'll check they are securely connected, but is there something else I should keep an eye out for?

Admittedly, I'm using some older monster speaker wires I had on an old DefTech system that had some severe overheating problems (speakers burned up from the inside). Additionally, I had to splice two wires together to reach one of the speakers - could this be part of the problem?

You need to make sure red goes to red and black goes to black. And that NOTHING is touching anywhere. Perhaps some new wire. Not great To splice wire together. Monoprice sells good quality wire that a lot of us use. Don't have to buy fancy anything. Just copper.

Edited by Scrappydue