Rebuilding TSCM bass bins

Hey guys, I was going to sell my TSCM's but once they were removed from my system I couldn't live without their bass. So I am going to rebuild them, while they are down for rebuilding should I consider other drivers? Here are some thoughts I have been having....maybe a field coil driver from Classic Audio? Although this would be VERY expensive. Perhaps a 15 " servo driver from Rythmik and then of course you have the Altec fans.

Has anyone played with different drivers in their K-horns or TSCM's?

Thanks guys,

Edited by playntheblues
  • Like 1

Hey guys, I was going to sell my TSCM's but once they were removed from my system I couldn't live without their bass. So I am going to rebuild them, while they are down for rebuilding should I consider other drivers? Here are some thoughts I have been having....maybe a field coil driver from Classic Audio? Although this would be VERY expensive. Perhaps a 15 " servo driver from Rythmik and then of course you have the Altec fans.

Has anyone played with different drivers in their K-horns or TSCM's?

Thanks guys,

playntheblues,

I have tried 5 different Klipsch drivers in the La Scalas and Klipschorns. I would recommend staying with one of the deriver the factory offered and adding a Sub Woofer. The best Klipsch driver I have used is the 1950s EV 15W-K, not an easy score. Another possibility is bi-amping the system and driving the Bass bin harder at listening levels, this will also tame the hot top end. If you are looking for a sub that plays musical bass and not any lower than the 35 Hz that the TSCM Bass bin does, you could consider a Klipsch KPT-684 or a pair like I run.

PS: the EV 15W-K is a more efficient driver, so it produces some more Bass at normal driving, but I would not bi-amp with this driver. If you want to Bi-amp and drive the bass bin harder, you need a pair of K-44Es.

Roger

• Like 1

Thanks Roger, I am driving them with a Job 225 which I love (I have thought about putting a pair of 300b's on the top end, but I like things simple), I use a Concert Fidelity 040 DAC through a Placette RMC. I would love to find a pair of EV 15W-K's how much more eff. are they?

I was using a B&C 750 on a eliptrac 400, but am going to switch to the DCM 50 and DE120 and go three way. Probably use ALK extreme slopes, at least on the top end.

Edited by playntheblues

Thanks Roger, I am driving them with a Job 225 which I love (I have thought about putting a pair of 300b's on the top end, but I like things simple), I use a Concert Fidelity 040 DAC through a Placette RMC. I would love to find a pair of EV 15W-K's how much more eff. are they?

I was using a B&C 750 on a eliptrac 400, but am going to switch to the DCM 50 and DE120 and go three way. Probably use ALK extreme slopes, at least on the top end.

payntheblues,

My brother in law owns K-Horns also. I own K-33E round magnet woofers, K-33E square magnet woofers, K-43E Woofers, K-44E woofers and a pair of EV 15W-K woofers. I don't know efficiency specs on the EVs, but when we changed out all 5 woofers in succession it was clear that the EV 15w-Ks had more Bass output at low listening volume. On a thread around here somewhere from about three years ago, I posted pictures of all 5 woofers and discussed this. If you want to get a set of EV 15W-Ks, the ones from the 1950s have Alnico Magnets in them and the motor is copper colored. They made ones in the 1960s that are copper colored but have a polished aluminum Bow Tie on them. These are ceramic magnets and not the ones you want. The K designation is for Klipsch and means they originally came in a set of Klipsch speakers. If you find a set that needs reconed, I know the only reconer certified by EV in the USA personally. Good Luck in your search for a pair. I paid about $400 for mine several years ago, I had the chrome baskets re-triple show chrome plated and had them reconed to factory spec. I have over $750 in them.

Roger

• Like 1

I'm jealous as this is a cool project.

I'd go to K33's or Crites replacement. If you wanted to go exotic on the drivers you could get a K33 retrofitted into a field coil driver. I don't think anyone has done this before. There is a guy in Florida that builds custom field coils but I can't find his site. The argument for Field Coils is interesting to me and the data is compelling. Another exotic choice would be the TAD 15 which I believe was model 1601? I think Maron Horonzak uses these. The top sounds good as well.

Good luck and keep us posted.