RF-83 Woofer Removal

laneza01

I have not a clue how it happened, being that I have no children but...somehow I got tortilla chips inside my speaker cabinets. Heard something moving around in there while I was moving them and it turned out to be chips.Anyway, I need to remove the woofers as there are chips stuck between the speaker and bracket.

Can anyone give me an idea on how to do this? I found a guide for rf-7 ii but they are mounted differently then the 83's.

Thanks,

Zach

Edited by laneza01

I bet it was a rodent of some sort

Rats by golly, lol. You need a special screwdriver to take the woofer out. There should be enough slack to not disconnect the wires. Lay the speaker on it's side, it will be easier. I think it is a trox screwdriver.

Yep star bit or torx. But just take all the baffle screws off (part where the grill magnets attach) be careful as the tweeter is part of this you will need to unhook the tweeter and it will come out as a whole piece. Then you will see how to get to the woofers after that is out of the way.

Edited by Scrappydue
  • Like 1

Yup. Torx worked great. I wasn't sure if i had to remove all the screws on the outside. Figured it out though. Found about half a bag of chips. Just moved to so they were scattered about the whole cabinet (I put the speakers back into the boxes so that involves turning them upside down).