Should I buy this MC-250?

jimjimbo

While I love my mc250, $800 is a high price (unless it has been serviced, recapped and has mint chrome)

I'd say $475-650 is the fair market price depending on condition (chassis rust).

Figure 200-ish for a service and recap.  FYI Dewick's current wait time is pretty long.

Edited by MAZ

While I love my mc250, $800 is a high price (unless it has been serviced, recapped and has mint chrome)

I'd say $475-650 is the fair market price depending on condition (chassis rust).

Figure 200-ish for a service and recap.  FYI Dewick's current wait time is pretty long.

If it's the mc-250 at AK in Barter town, then 800 seems reasonable without shipping.

It is absolutely mint and he lists the work done and who did it that indicates it is running fine.

So to the above post, it is in the 650 range for cosmetics and the 200-ish for the internal work done already.

It is a beauty and I love my mc-250, I may buy other amps, but I'll be hard pressed to sell mine.

• Like 1

If it's the mc-250 at AK in Barter town, then 800 seems reasonable without shipping.

It is absolutely mint and he lists the work done and who did it that indicates it is running fine.

So to the above post, it is in the 650 range for cosmetics and the 200-ish for the internal work done already.

It is a beauty and I love my mc-250, I may buy other amps, but I'll be hard pressed to sell mine.

^ what he said

Edited by MAZ

These MC-250s are sleepers.  They are first generation solid state with tube like circuits and sound.  They sound great with Klipsch horn speakers, and are friendly with both home audio and pro equipment.

I have 3 MC-250s and 2 MC-2100s.  I had Terry DeWick rebuild them all over a few year period of collecting them slowly.

I don't baby these amps, and I have had 2 of them need a second repair of which I could care less (one 250 outputs heating, and one 2100 turn on thump).  They are wonderful and I will continue to maintain them.  Other than what I mention, they have been totally maintenance free.

I use Tube preamps with them and have gotten a lot of pleasure out of them.

IMHO the 250s sound a little better than the 2100s.........of course the 2100s have a lot more power.

But the 250s always come back from DeWick with test data saying around 70-75 watts before rated distortion.

I paid around $500 for near mint...........about $400 for rebuilds (entire audio path, low level power supply, terminal strips, gold RCAs, new power cord, total cleaning of unit).  These are about what I see here and there.

• 2 weeks later...