marantz 1060

anybody use one of these integrated amps?  especially with heritage speakers?  i got one recently that works, but at first power up the volume knob is very scratchy & noisy (through the speakers) it even pops a bit, but then goes away or gets much better after a minute or 2. it sounds good on smaller speakers i used to test it & it gets excellent reviews for vintage gear.  i'm afraid to hook it up to my k-horns untill i fix the volume knob issue,  just curious if this would be a good match for the speakers.

I would make a suggestion on how to get things back to shape on your own although the pop sounds a bit more serious. Nice unit for sure and well worth the time and money repairing properly especially considering you like the sound this far.

I would not power it on again. First I would find an honest tech to open it up and spend I figure about 2 hours to fix and about $10 in parts so about $100 repair...hard to tell although that would be my opinion on what to do.

• Like 1

yes i am considering haveing a tech look at/repair it.  just looking for opinions on the unit itself, good match to heritage speakers or k-horns specifically?  & is usings some electrical contact cleaner worth a try on the volume knob?  its mainly scratchy but when moving it will pop a bit too untill it warms up a bit.  the "popping" is i think just the extreme scratching im describing.

im using a much bigger power amp now (adcom 555-200wpc) & really like the impact & kick i get at higher volumes & the adcom actually sounds pretty decent at lower to mid levels too.  will stepping down to 25wpc of the marantz hurt the bass impact & sheer volume levels the adcom can produce on the k-horns? 

Yes, I have a 1060, and I have used it on Belle's, Cornwall's and Heresy's.  I liked it, and I think you will too after you get it cleaned up.

As a first step, you should definitely get a can of good contact cleaner, either Deoxit or Max Professional Contact Cleaner, open up the unit and spray all the switches, not just the volume knob.  Go with two short bursts of spray, operate the knob or switch back and forth, let it sit for 30 seconds or so, then spray again.  I always do this at night, and let the unit fully dry overnight.  Let us know how it goes.

" i think just the extreme scratching im describing."

And I don't.

Sold and serviced hi-fi for over 30 years, just my experience you know.

Perhaps you could be a little less cryptic in your response to the OP?  I don't disagree regarding the caps, but a good switch and pot cleaning is a good start for him.  40 years in electronics donchaknow.....