Any idea/range of value on a non-working Velodyne HSG-15 sub?

JiminSTL

Hello, all,

May have an opportunity to buy a used (but, supposedly, in superb condition--box and grille) Velodyne HSG-15.  The owner does not know what is wrong with it, and purchased another.

My questions relate to whether it could be a good thing to purchase?  How might I be able to identify the real problem?  I presume that I (likely) would have to replace the amplifier?  Is it possible to safely "mix and match", if I were to purchase a good plate amplifier from PE, or somewhere?  

I am looking for one sub to meet my HT needs:  1) 6000+ cubic ft listening area,  2) primarily HT/movie sound effects, as rely mostly on my KLF-30s, 20s, and KV-4 center for musicality, 3)  would like to have have good sound effects and results WITHOUT having to have the volume turned way up.  Am even open to DIY,

But, am looking for a "good deal" (combo capability of the sub, price, size/appearance, relative ease of acquisition).

So, where else to come, except to the fountainhead of experience and knowledge here on the Forum.

I surely appreciate any and all comments that may help me to understand the issues better than I do now!

Am posting below the original specs of the Velodyne HSG-15:

SPECIFICATIONS HGS-15 THX Ultra 2

Cabinet (H/W/D) 19.5" x 18" x 17"

Frequency Response 18Hz - 120Hz +/- 3 dB

Harmonic Distortion less than .5%

Subsonic Filter 15Hz or 35Hz

High Pass Crossover 80Hz

Low Pass Crossover 40Hz - 120Hz

(12 dB/octave initial, 48 dB/octave ultimate)

Phase 0°/180°

Amplifier Class D, 1250 watts RMS, 3000 watts peak

Woofer - forward firing 15"

(12.7" piston diameter)

Magnet 220 oz. (13.7 lbs.)

Magnet Structure 380 oz. (24 lbs.)

Voice Coil Tandem 3" push-pull

Inputs Line-level, Balanced & speaker-level

Outputs Line-level & speaker-level

Warranty Two years (parts & labor)

Weight 95 lbs. (approx.)

Edited by JiminSTL

Update to my post above:  the seller of the Velodyne says that the sub works "most" of the time.  However, he does, on occasion, have to turn the volume up to get a fair amount of output.

Does that give any more useful information in diagnosis, and deciding if the sub would be a good purchase for me, or not?

May have an opportunity to buy a used (but, supposedly, in superb condition--box and grille) Velodyne HSG-15.  The owner does not know what is wrong with it, and purchased another.   My questions relate to whether it could be a good thing to purchase?

How much $$$ are we talking?

How might I be able to identify the real problem?

Have a qualified tech look at it.

I presume that I (likely) would have to replace the amplifier?  Is it possible to safely "mix and match", if I were to purchase a good plate amplifier from PE, or somewhere?  

The HGS15 is a well built subwoofer with a solid cabinet.  Is the driver in good shape?

Bill

My fronts are Klipsch KLF-30s, center is KV-4, and rears are KLF-20s.  Typically, I listen to music on my Pioneer Elite SC-35  at -35 to -30 (if I am feeling a little frisky).  If I am listening to something that really gives the virtuosity of the speakers a chance to do their thing, I might go whole hog down to -27!!!  With movies (especially with action types) I frequently will set it to -27 to -23.  As my viewing/listening position is about 16 feet or more from the mains, I am not just right on top of them.

The sub that I do get will be within 2 to 3 feet of the 2 primary places my wife and I sit.

Does this help any?

If the seller will let it go for $300.00(or less) and you can get EBC Electronics(or some other tech) to repair the amp for $175.00, I think it would be worth it.  A high quality $2000.00 msrp subwoofer for $500.00. :emotion-21:

Now will the HGS15 fill a 6000 ft3(with authority), no but it will be a very good start.  You could get buy with a single HGS15 for music in that room, but eventually you would need to add another HGS15 or similar sub to really feel your movies.  

Bill

The sub that I do get will be within 2 to 3 feet of the 2 primary places my wife and I sit. Does this help any?

Yes.  The closer you are to the sub, the less sub you'll need.  Near field placement requires less of a sub but a little more care in setting it up so that it doesn't call attention to itself.

Willand, I just looked at the link you sent, and that may be just the ticket!

Cecca, too, if I/my wife are as close to the subwoofer as I mentioned, and if any guests were within 10' or less of the sub, would that particular one be likely to give us the "visceral" aspect that I am looking for?  Again, as you saw above, I am not one to have to scream to be heard above the volume of whatever it is that I am watching/listening to.

would that particular one be likely to give us the "visceral" aspect that I am looking for? 

Are you looking for the chest thump or couch rumble?  The thump would come mostly from your mains (depending on crossover setting) and the rumble effect from the sub.  Either way, you'll need the SPL up.

Well, as my KLF's go down to the mid-30s, and I presume that I would set the crossover at 80, what I really want is to hear or "feel" or sense is Godzilla stomping around, or explosions, and tanks rumbling.  Is that "chest thump" or "couch rumble"?  

Thanks for the education!