JBL 2360A Horns on KPT-904's?

mustang guy

"JBL did get an Academy Award for it,"

And I had to leave the theater during 'The Mambo Kings', the 'frying' and 'quacking' noises were so bad (and the level was only about 85dB).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104802/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Mainly a problem with trumpet notes (in the movie), but a very real problem with vocals in a PA (and I don't run it all that loud, say 105dB at the FOH position).

Listening at my home with normal spoken word (about 70dB) you can hear how un-natual the horns with slots sound.

I have the 2360a horns with the EV DH1a drivers, and I have never heard anything like you are talking about, nor has anyone that has come over to our house (in the last couple of months since we got the HT up and running). As a matter of fact everyone has loved the way they sound. We have played up to 115db on music, and to reference levels with movies. Not to say that what you are saying is not true, but we have never heard it..

Edited by ellisr63

And I had to leave the theater during 'The Mambo Kings', the 'frying' and 'quacking' noises were so bad (and the level was only about 85dB).

Mainly a problem with trumpet notes (in the movie), but a very real problem with vocals in a PA (and I don't run it all that loud, say 105dB at the FOH position).

Listening at my home with normal spoken word (about 70dB) you can hear how un-natual the horns with slots sound.

Well, here again, I believe it was because all the 2360 theater installs used it as a TWEETER with 15db of boost at the high end, which is not trivial. My own use was with bandpass filters and a tweeter, so I had little or none of what you speak of. I'm a K-402 and Danley SH devotee primarily in my evolution to sonic nirvana.

PS: I have also had the EV 640 horns in my systems (still have 3 of them in garage) that you seem so fond of crossing at 1 Khz. IMHO, I'd rather have a smaller 1" driver horn to handle this range instead of a 2" driver in a home situation.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Well, here again, I believe it was because all the 2360 theater installs used it as a TWEETER with 15db of boost at the high end, which is not trivial. My own use was with bandpass filters and a tweeter, so I had little or none of what you speak of. I'm a K-402 and Danley SH devotee primarily in my evolution to sonic nirvana.

PS: I have also had the EV 640 horns in my systems (still have 3 of them in garage) that you seem so fond of crossing at 1 Khz. IMHO, I'd rather have a smaller 1" driver horn to handle this range instead of a 2" driver in a home situation.

Maybe you should post a photo of your new setup?  :D

Edited by kg4guy