Custom Built cabinet help

Turbox

How tall is the 402 + the 510 - overlap + cabinet base? I don't have any of the horns, but according to the Cinema brochure, the 402 is 27 1/4" high alone. The 510 is 12 1/4". Are these accurate? The overlap would be about an inch, and the cab base would be an inch. That would make the height of this 39 1/2" tall.  

smooshedcenter.jpg

KPT-942 custom4.jpg

Oh, and the K-33's are 4ohm, so you could run them in series for 8ohm.

Edited by mustang guy

I'd be using the K45-ep's from the 904's

Those are 4ohm also. Great drivers, and heavy as heck. I suppose from that you mean you are not doing LS bass bins. If you are porting, then you might consider slotted ports at the bottom for space savings. If you do that, you could have a pair of 510's flanking the 402 and just above the k45's. That way you are at the height of the 402.

Still, how tall are the 402+510's actually?

Edited by mustang guy

Jason str is down in Chicago (8 hours from you), and is a Bill Fitzmaurice sub builder. 

If it were me, I would draw it up in sketchup and hand the plans to a local cabinet builder in Toronto. 

You will need total cabinet volume to determine porting, and I don't know that the T/S specs are available for the k45. That cabinet will have a lot more volume than a KPT-904-LF, so using the ports you have and expecting it to sound like a 904 would be an exercise in frustration. 

There is a way to measure the Theile Small parameters of the drivers. That would be a great start.

Edited by mustang guy

Port sizes will be determined by the cabinet volume and the T/S specs of the K-45. It is important to know those. 

Is there a possibility these drivers are made by Eminence? If so, those specs would be readily available, and the ports would be a cinch.

I'm guessing the cab volume will be about 60,000 cubic inches compared to the 904's 20,000 cuin. With more volume you will need less ports.

Edited by mustang guy

I think they are eminence. when I order my 402's there was extra cardboard used for packing that had eminence printing all over them. I googled port sizes, and yes your right the more volume I have the less port volume needed.

Edited by Turbox

• Moderators
Turbox, on 20 Sept 2014 - 2:58 PM, said: I think I am shooting for 30 inches tall. I will put the 510 on one side. this option...

Awesome, the 510 on the side should work fine. I like the way the ports look but if that changes it's no big deal, the slots look good also.

Depending on where it is going maby some wheels under it or on the side slightly lifting it would help considering it's not a center that you could pick up and move around.

Edited by dtel

I am going to speculate that if you use the 4 ports, you will use 1/3 of the length. If they are 6", they will end up 2". I'm not 100% certain, but I think the math is as simple as that. 

npl = new port length

opl = old port length

nbv = new box volume = ~60,000 cu in = 34.72 cu ft

obv = old box volume = ~20,000 cu in = 11.57 cu ft

nd = new denominator

nbv / obv = nd

60,000 / 20,000 = 3

opl / nd = npl

If opl = 6", then 

6 / 3 = 2"

I don't think you will have the exact same tuning. The new speaker will be tuned lower because of it's size.

Edited by mustang guy